Change label of disk

• Thanks!

Yeah, I tried OMV 5.x. I really have had no major issues with 6. There were some little things a few weeks ago, like some links not working in certain browsers (minor stuff--but even those have been fixed recently). Nothing about my system is mission critical. And I am partly doing this to learn--so very happy to be a beta/alpha tester.

Point 3 is something I didn't know---so that's a great tip! Most times, though, I'm not actually entering the UUID on the command line directly, but editing a file in nano etc---so not sure if that tip works there.

Anyways, thanks to both of you for sharing what you know--happy to learn!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Point 3 is something I didn't know---so that's a great tip! Most times, though, I'm not actually entering the UUID on the command line directly, but editing a file in nano etc---so not sure if that tip works there.

Anyways, thanks to both of you for sharing what you know--happy to learn!

Nope, only in the command line.. but it's handy if you don't know the path (pre OMV 6, you had to manually find the paths)... and you're dealing with multiple, long UUID's.

• Is there a different system you'd recommend? All my data disks contain one partition of max size, and I use the filesystem label to indicate where the drive is physically in my case (A1 is top row, first column, C3 is third row, third column, etc.).

For ext4 format use from terminal "e2label /dev/device <.new-label-name-here>"

btrfs filesystem label [<device>|<mount_point>] [<newlabel>]

Linux Mint (Edge) EndeavourOS Arch Linux

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

For ext4 format use from terminal "e2label /dev/device <.new-label-name-here>"

btrfs filesystem label [<device>|<mount_point>] [<newlabel>]

I know you're really hung up on this issue (thus why you responded to a post from 2018)...

But what does this change? If I'm not mistaken, the drive will still mount via UUID as soon as you mount it in the webUI, which you have to do in order to use it for services in the webUI, add shared folders, etc.

So what does your "solution" solve?

• I know you're really hung up on this issue (thus why you responded to a post from 2018)...

But what does this change? If I'm not mistaken, the drive will still mount via UUID as soon as you mount it in the webUI, which you have to do in order to use it for services in the webUI, add shared folders, etc.

So what does your "solution" solve?

It does not matter how the drive is mounted, by label or uuid. This does not change that, it only add "Label" name to the device. I changed "label" name of my OMV5 system disk and it is still mounted the same as it was . I can change that label as many times as I want and to anything I want. Guy asked how to change "label" of the disk ( to my best knowledge) not to change mount point or mounting method. So I do not understand your problem, read some docs as to how to name /"label" disks.

OMV7 NAS, bond0 LACP, Fractal Design Define R5 Case, Kodi "Omega", FreeBSD pfSense Plus firewall/router

• Offizieller Beitrag

It does not matter how the drive is mounted, by label or uuid. This does not change that, it only add "Label" name to the device. I changed "label" name of my OMV5 system disk and it is still mounted the same as it was . I can change that label as many times as I want and to anything I want. Guy asked how to change "label" of the disk ( to my best knowledge) not to change mount point or mounting method. So I do not understand your problem, read some docs as to how to name /"label" disks.

LOL, I know how to change labels.

I know you're having trouble letting go of this issue, but trust me, it will be OK. You might note right above that, the guy who wrote the freaking software, said, "BETTER TO NOT USE LABELS"

Anyway, I'm sure the guy who made a post over 2yrs ago and hasn't been here since July, will greatly appreciate your assistance.

• LOL, I know how to change labels.

I know you're having trouble letting go of this issue, but trust me, it will be OK. You might note right above that, the guy who wrote the freaking software, said, "BETTER TO NOT USE LABELS"

Anyway, I'm sure the guy who made a post over 2yrs ago and hasn't been here since July, will greatly appreciate your assistance.

OMV5_System mounted the old way: by Label

Toshiba500GB mounted by new method: uuid

Mounting methods were not changed on either disk. Changed disk label with "e2label". Works fine. This is the "label" I was reffering to.

• The OMV system disk is mounted in fstab outside of the [openmediavault] stanza. You can change the way it is mounted (by-label or by-uuid), if desired, by editing fstab. The same is true for any disks or other mounts that are located outside the [openmediavault] stanza.

Data disks that were mounted by-label before the change to mounting by-uuid will continue to be mounted by-label.

Data disks that were added to OMV after the mounting method change was made are mounted by-uuid. This can not be changed. If you hand edit mounts within the [openmediavault] stanza, those changes will eventually be lost.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• The OMV system disk is mounted in fstab outside of the [openmediavault] stanza. You can change the way it is mounted (by-label or by-uuid), if desired, by editing fstab. The same is true for any disks or other mounts that are located outside the [openmediavault] stanza.

Data disks that were mounted by-label before the change to mounting by-uuid will continue to be mounted by-label.

Data disks that were added to OMV after the mounting method change was made are mounted by-uuid. This can not be changed. If you hand edit mounts within the [openmediavault] stanza, those changes will eventually be lost.

I installed USB drive to my NAS server 2 weeks ago. It IS mounted by uuid NOT by-label (see attached picture)

I am NOT changing how is ,where is mounted nor device (/dev/sdd1), just a LABEL. You guys should read what "e2label" does.

Edit:

This is my fstab, OMV section, showing mounting of this "USB_Drive"

/dev/disk/by-uuid/ae9f658b-7fbc-4ede-b4d3-736eee11f6bf /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-ae9f658b-7fbc-4ede-b4d3-736eee11f6bf ext4 defaults,nofail,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,acl 0 2

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von andrzejls ()

• HI.

What if the disk is not already monted, just wiped and with file system created? I forget write down the label before start the filesystem creation.

Not mounted yet.

Edit:

Solved Deleting the disk and then re- create the filesystem again.

Thanks anyway

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!