Changing OS disk

• Hi all, i wanted to change my OMV os disk (a 5400rpm 160gb hdd) with a 60gb SSD. What do you suggest for doing that? And will it mess up the raid made on omv or anything else?

• In my limited knowledge, I would say (but I may be wrong!) that the easiest way to do that is to use Clonezilla Live USB to clone your system HDD, then restore img to new SSD, try to switch disks and boot.
    If this won't work, you still have the old system HDD.

• In my limited knowledge, I would say (but I may be wrong!) that the easiest way to do that is to use Clonezilla Live USB to clone your system HDD, then restore img to new SSD, try to switch disks and boot.
    If this won't work, you still have the old system HDD.

Will this mess up the raid or anything else? Btw this was my first idea.

• Data disks will not get harmed if you change the OS drive. (Please unplug them while installing on your new OS drive!)

IMHO it is not worth making a backup from the OS drive and fiddling it onto a new drive. I´m always installing OMV freshly onto the new drive, mount the data drives and configure everything from scratch. Takes about 1 hour - done.

However - a backup of your data (depending on how important it is) is always a good idea.

• Data disks will not get harmed if you change the OS drive. (Please unplug them while installing on your new OS drive!)

IMHO it is not worth making a backup from the OS drive and fiddling it onto a new drive. I´m always installing OMV freshly onto the new drive, mount the data drives and configure everything from scratch. Takes about 1 hour - done.

However - a backup of your data (depending on how important it is) is always a good idea.

Hi Wast, first of all thx for the reply. Btw i'm changing the disk because it has some damaged sectors and other SMART errors, so i decided to change it.
    I can't just reinstall OMV. I have installed nextcloud, configured manually targetcli-fb and other things. So i prefer to just swap disks and keep the OS as it is.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!