recommended10gb network card

• Hello,

I was wondering if there is a recommended 10gb network card that works out of the box. I do not mind if it is SFP+. I was looking at the Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards but not sure if they are supported due to being EOL.

• I use both the ConnectX-2 and ConnectX-3 SFP+ single port 10G Nics

I have also used a Chelsio dual port NIC

This is in both OMV3 and OMV4

No issues with standard OMV install or function.

However, if I run the dual Chelsio NIC and the Proxmox kernel, only one of the NIC's is recognized. This is the same within my two OMV servers or three Proxmox servers.
    I believe this issue is related to how the NICs get recognized and named under the Proxmox Kernel
    - There is a fix for this, but you have to use the command line. Revert back to the old name scheme of eth1, eth2 ..... vs the new scheme of such as enp2s0 etc....

• Offizieller Beitrag

Intel X710 works very well too.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I was wondering if you have ever tried to upgrade the firmware of your cards? I am seeing some strange issues with connectivity and wanted to cross this off the list.

When I follow the procedures from the mellanox site it says I am missing the following packahges. Should I install them?

gcc make dkms linux-headers linux-headers-generic

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was wondering if you have ever tried to upgrade the firmware of your cards?

We upgrade firmware all the time.

When I follow the procedures from the mellanox site it says I am missing the following packahges. Should I install them?

gcc make dkms linux-headers linux-headers-generic

Yes. Those are the packages required to build binaries.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• We upgrade firmware all the time.

Yes. Those are the packages required to build binaries.

I got everything to install except for the headers but I am getting the following error when it tries to search for the packages

I am running the linux kernel 4.18. Any thoughts?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am running the linux kernel 4.18. Any thoughts?

The package name is linux-headers-amd64

• This might be a bit of late addition, but by now, Aquantia cards should work, as long as you start on kernel 4.18.
    I had some issues earlier, but upgraded to the latest driver this past weekend and it wasn't that hard once the compiling worked.
    So far very happy with my Aquantia cards, even though early on they had a flaky firmware. Hard to beat on price for new hardware.

If you're in the US, it seems like you can get a sub $50 Edimax card based on Tehuti and Marvell hardware https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-…net-Express/dp/B0779PKJCP
    As far as I'm aware, it's now the cheapest 10Gbps over copper card out there.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Offizieller Beitrag

As far as I'm aware, it's now the cheapest 10Gbps over copper card out there.

Manufacturer page says it uses ~ 4W. This is much better than my mellanox cards (rated at 10W). Now, we just need cheaper 24 port switches with a good number of 10G ports.

• Yeah, I was expecting something this year, but for whatever reason there's a delay. Realtek was showing off an eight port switch IC for 10Gbps at Computex in June, which I was told was priced under $30. Note that the cost doesn't include PHY's, so obviously the cost of an actual switch would be a lot higher once you add the PHY's, but it would still allow for much cheaper switches than today. Maybe not quite at the 24-port level, but it's a huge step in the right direction if you can get an eight port switch for say under $300.

QNAP has an 8-port switch for $429, but it's four 10GBASE-T and eight SFP+ ports, four of which are shared. $575 gets you the 12-port version with eight 10GBASE-T and 12 SFP+, of which eight are shared. They're not managed, but as far as I'm aware, they're the cheapest of its kind right now.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!