OMV 4.x omv-extras Virtualbox installation problem.

• Hey you all,
    I know it is an old thread, but, same problem here.
    I am runnung OMV 4.1.21 | 32 bit | 4.14.98 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
    The VirtualBox plugins doesn't appear for me, no matter what.
    I have already uninstalled and installed omv-extras (stable and testing repo) and done most everything I found in the forum, but still nothing.
    The thing I could not do was enable and disable backports, I either get a "time out" or a "communicate failure" answer.
    I'd really appreciate any help.
    Tks

This is the apt-clean response:

• Offizieller Beitrag

The VirtualBox plugins doesn't appear for me, no matter what.

Virtualbox only runs on i386 or amd64 systems. It will not work on your RPi.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Is this again somehow broken? I get this with backports enabled:

and this with disabled (which is expected, i guess):

• Add me to list of a fresh install V-Box plugin failure.

Backports are enabled. It appears to me that backports is missing the common header file for x.6

However I tried force installing all of .5 to include all headers, but it still failed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, as I posted in the zfs threads, the backports kernel was updated but the headers meta package was not. So, any plugin that compiles a kernel module (zfs, virtualbox, etc) will be broken. I know the zfs issue is fixed by using the proxmox kernel but I haven't tried it with virtualbox.

Just a reminder that there is no virtualbox package in the debian 10+ repos. So, there will be no plugin in OMV 5.x.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

And now? Is it possible to fix this Problem ?

Did you read my post other than the last line? Try installing the proxmox kernel then install virtualbox.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It didnt work.

That isn't enough to help. I just installed the virtualbox package on an OMV 4.x system running the latest proxmox kernel and it worked fine.

• I'm having the same problem installing VirtualBox, and even after installing and switching to the ProxMox kernel (4.15.18-21-pve) as suggested, I'm still getting the same error on trying to install. When I look at my sources.list, I"m not seeing any reference to backports (unless that's what "volatile" means), despite the fact that I've tried enabling it through the Web GUI. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Odroid XU4
    8TB Main Data | 3x3TB Backup Data
    OMV 5.6.2-1
    Docker | Plex | MergerFS | Rsync

• That isn't enough to help. I just installed the virtualbox package on an OMV 4.x system running the latest proxmox kernel and it worked fine.

No dice here. Proxmox installed and running. Backports enabled.

• The same

root@NASServer:~# apt install openmediavault-virtualbox
    Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
    Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
    Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
    Einige Pakete konnten nicht installiert werden. Das kann bedeuten, dass
    Sie eine unmögliche Situation angefordert haben oder, wenn Sie die
    Unstable-Distribution verwenden, dass einige erforderliche Pakete noch
    nicht erstellt wurden oder Incoming noch nicht verlassen haben.
    Die folgenden Informationen helfen Ihnen vielleicht, die Situation zu lösen:
    Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
    openmediavault-virtualbox : Hängt ab von: linux-headers-686-pae ist aber nicht installierbar oder
    linux-headers-amd64 soll aber nicht installiert werden
    E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.

• same Problem here. ;(

Tried Promox Kernel. Did not work.

Problem came after updating to omv 4.1.26-1 the last days.... :huh:

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you use the proxmox kernel, you need to remove the Debian kernels. Hence the button to do that in omv-extras. This will allow the linux-headers-amd64 package to be downloaded and virtualbox should work. My test system isn't magic.

• Ok I got it working, though it did require some out of the box thinking:

• First install PVE kernel, reboot
    • delete any other kernels
    • Then enable testing AND backports
    • apt update
    • >apt install linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.5-amd64 (you'll notice the 5 here because .6 is missing a header file required to complete)
    • >apt install openmediavault-virtualbox
    • Offizieller Beitrag

your responses seem to suggest backports is not needed. Is that correct?

No. Where did I say that backports isn't needed?

Which repos DO we need enabled?

You are starting to post like this is my fault....

You need stretch-backports enabled because virtualbox is not in the regular stretch repo - https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=default§ion=all&arch=any&searchon=names&keywords=virtualbox

You need the regular omv-extras repo enabled. Not testing or any of the other options but it doesn't hurt to have them enabled - https://bintray.com/openmediavault-plugin-developers/arrakis

The plugin requires kernel headers installed - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…master/debian/control#L12

I like aptitude in situations like this.

I hate aptitude and it won't fix any of the problems here.

Here it wants an updated version of VBox, which I am guessing puts us back to needing Backports.

You have pretty much always needed backports. It is the default for OMV. Why would you turn it off? The only reason you see 5.2.8 is because it is still in the omv-extras testing repo from back when I built the package before it was in the stretch backports repo. People asked me to leave it there for those who need backports disabled.

Clearly our apt lists are not the same as yours.

I understand you think I am doing something that omv-extras doesn't do but I am not. I am just checking boxes and clicking apply like you.

I just uploaded a new version of the plugin that allow it use the pve-headers or linux-headers-amd64. This should stop the plugin from trying to install linux-headers-amd64 IF you have the proxmox kernel installed. I'm not going to remove linux-headers-amd64 because Debian will probably fix their repo sometime.

• @tx.canyon
    yes yes yes it Works. Thank you for instructions

Ok I got it working, though it did require some out of the box thinking:

• First install PVE kernel, reboot
    • delete any other kernels
    • Then enable testing AND backports
    • apt update
    • >apt install linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.5-amd64 (you'll notice the 5 here because .6 is missing a header file required to complete)
    • >apt install openmediavault-virtualbox

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!