How to enter the password via the console

• This seems like a very odd problem to me. I want to access OMV via my monitor and keyboard, because I can't seem to get in through the Web GUI, and the router is not finding the NAS. Mostly, I want to make sure I have the IP Address I think I have. For a while I was trying to use "admin" for the user, and then I found the information here that I need to use "root". Okay, so far. But then, when it asks me for the password, as I type, NOTHING appears on the screen. I know it's not supposed to show the password, but normally as you type, you will see something like **********. I see nothing, and the cursor doesn't move as I type. I also have the problem of being unsure how I left the password situation when I installed, so this is really confusing.

IS THIS NORMAL? Should the password field show nothing at all as I type? If I put in the correct password, will is suddenly allow me in?

Thanks,
    Michael

• There is nothing echoed to the console screen when entering the password. Nothing.

Once you enter the password and hit the Enter key, you are either allowed in or replied to with an incorrect password error.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Okay, Wow, sort of like playing the slots blind in Vegas. If I get 3 cherries, I win the prize--but you don't see the cherries coming up till after the fact.

Thanks, I'll try it. Maybe this is common in the Linux world, but I've never seen it!

• It took me a little while to get in, because stupidly, I hadn't written down the password I chose. It was one I've used before, but I forgot that this time I chose not to use a capital first letter (on the advice of someone that Linux does not like capitals.) So it took a while for me to try that. In any case, I'm in. Thanks for your help!

Yes, I'll draft a formal letter of complaint to Linus... ^^

• I chose not to use a capital first letter (on the advice of someone that Linux does not like capitals.)

How did that "someone" ever come up with that idea?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• How did that "someone" ever come up with that idea?

Hey, what do I know? I've been a Windows guy for 36 years (not a pro, but you learn a lot over that period dealing with stuff just as a home user with a little bit of networking experience.) So this whole linux world is strange to me. It's hard to sort out what advice to listen to sometimes.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help with what turned out a very simple problem complicated by ridiculously small stuff!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've been a Windows guy for 36 years

Windows 1.0 came out 33 years ago :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• There was a "Run-time" version that I used which might have been earlier, though probably simultaneous. But you are right--I miscalculated. I think it would have been 1986, so it's 32 years. Sorry about that.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think it would have been 1986, so it's 32 years. Sorry about that.

Just pickin on you :) I used dos and cp/m until Windows 3.1 came out. Even then, I still mainly used dos until Windows NT 4 came out. But then in 1998, I discovered this wonderful thing called Linux (Redhat 4) and have never turned back.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!