WebDAV dowloads filling up system disk

• Hi, I am running OMV4 on a RPi. For some weird reason, when I download large files externally via WebDAV, my system disk (on SD card) gets filled up quickly.
    Could WebDAV be cashing on the SD card, and is there any way to prevent this? Besides the disk filling up, lots of write actions on the SD are also not a good idea...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not without changing the plugin which would be overwritten by an update. You could consider running webdav in a docker or using ssh/scp.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok, than I'll move away from WebDAV.
    I can/do use SSH/SCP or Samba over VPN for myself, but I want to share an occasional file with external users. It needs to be as simple as possible.

Will look into other solutions for this purpose. Any recommendations?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It needs to be as simple as possible.

Will look into other solutions for this purpose. Any recommendations?

Use the sftp plugin which will create an sftp sandbox (along as user is in proper group) to upload/download files from specified shared folders. WinSCP is pretty easy to use. Otherwise, look at running nextcloud in a docker.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• @ryecoaaron Thanks for the suggestions. SFTP/SCP are not webbased (user will still need a client), and therefore not user-friendly enough in my opinion. I need it to work for my computer illiterate friends and family ;)
    Nextcloud might be overkill for simple occasional file sharing.

@Mr.Grape I have seen that topic, but since WebDAV is unfortunately not working for me (although it does more or less what I am looking for), the solution for me is not in there.

I will do some more research on different options. The topic has been discussed extensively on this forum for as far as I can see :) .

• Offizieller Beitrag

hanks for the suggestions. SFTP/SCP are not webbased (user will still need a client), and therefore not user-friendly enough in my opinion. I need it to work for my computer illiterate friends and family
    Nextcloud might be overkill for simple occasional file sharing.

If it is just occasional, maybe ftp/ftps would be the way to go. Most browsers support ftp.

• SFTP/SCP are not webbased (user will still need a client), and therefore not user-friendly enough in my opinion.

This is one of the best excuses for not accomplishing something I have ever seen :)

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• If it is just occasional, maybe ftp/ftps would be the way to go. Most browsers support ftp.

I'll look into FTPS. Didn't think of that one yet. Would that work with the lets encrypt cert I already have installed?

I usually use a very simple web-based solution (not webdav) for the average user: index directory, ssl, basic auth. If there is a need to upload files, a simple php script.

Would you mind sharing what you use? The functions I am looking for are in fact index directory, SSL and basic auth ^^ . No need to upload.

• This is one of the best excuses for not accomplishing something I have ever seen

The problem is not me wanting/being able to set it up, I simply use VPN/Samba myself as said. The problem is I want to keep it as simple as possible for the users I am going to share a file with...

• The level of simplicity you desire for your users is IMHO, unreasonable.

There is no free lunch here. Someone has to perform some effort, and zero is not a reasonable amount.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Nice demo! This is exactly what I am looking for. Very simple click to download functionality, but with SSL and user account based.
    You should write a plugin for it! ;)

The level of simplicity you desire for your users is IMHO, unreasonable.

There is no free lunch here. Someone has to perform some effort, and zero is not a reasonable amount.

Well that's just like, your opinion man...

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should write a plugin for it!

openmediavault-nginx already exists.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!