Disk not showing under RAID management tab

• Hi all,

I'm quite new to OMV and trying to setup a NAS. I used to be on FreeNAS but for multiple reasons, decided to go onto OMV. I've built a new install on a USB of OMV4, updated all the features and now am under 4.19 OMV with Linux kernel 4.17, if I'm not mistaken.

On FreeNAS, I had 2 Seagate 2TB drives in mirror and I bought 2 new HD to increase capacity. I'm not looking at transferring data from FreeNAS to OMV (I read that the ZFS systems are not exactly compatible so I copied everything on an external hard drive).

When I want to create a RAID, I can not see the drives under RAID management > Create, while I can see them under Disks. I have wiped both of them beforehand (quick erase, not a secure one). The interesting bit is that I can see the two new disks but not the old ones.

Other pieces of info
    Proliant microserver N54L
    8Gb RAM

Any thought will be more than welcome!

• Thanks a lot for the very quick reply (I did read it much earlier but am only taking the time to respond now). I have started the process to secure wipe the first disk. I will keep you posted with the result. I had already started wiping my disks a week ago but a power cut stopped the process at 95% after 3 days. That's why I was wondering if there was another solution that would not take 3 days...

I also have a couple of related questions
    - Do you know if it's possible to secure wipe multiple disks at once? I could not see the option in the webui
    - Can I close the window (and shut down my computer) once the process is started? If so, how can I monitor the progress?
    - Finally, is there a command in the terminal that launches this function?

Thanks again!

• It worked. The secure wipe just finished and the drive showed in the RAID folder. I will just have to duplicate over the next 3 days.

Still interested to know if it's possible to secure wipe multiple disks at once :)

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

wipefs -a <device>

http://manpages.courier-mta.org/htmlman8/wipefs.8.html

might do the job. Either it is faster (never used it myself) or you could run it in background or using screen.
    You need to do in CLI. Not possible from GUI.

• That is brilliant! It worked like a charm (also because I don't need a secure wipe). You just saved me 3 days of waiting.

Just have to install back all that was on my FreeNAS and transfer the data...

BTW: I instructed wipefs with shellinabox (which is a version of CLI but if anyone looks at this thread and is as a newbie as I am, they might be interested).

Thank you so much. Where were you 3 days ago? Best forum community ever

• Hello, I am also quite new to OMV and been struggling with a similar problem. I have 2 disks with 4TB capacity which I want to mount in Raid mirror in OMV. I wiped both disks using using wipefs (because through OMV it would have taken ages) but the disks do not show under the "Create RAID device" option. Both disks are visible under "Disks" tab.

Could anyone give me some advice? I would appreciate it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello, I am also quite new to OMV and been struggling with a similar problem. I have 2 disks with 4TB capacity which I want to mount in Raid mirror in OMV. I wiped both disks using using wipefs (because through OMV it would have taken ages) but the disks do not show under the "Create RAID device" option. Both disks are visible under "Disks" tab.

Could anyone give me some advice? I would appreciate it.

If the disks are connected via USB, then they are not listed in the UI with reason. You have to create the RAID manually in this case.

• If the disks are connected via USB, then they are not listed in the UI with reason. You have to create the RAID manually in this case.

Hi,

I had a similar issue, and ended up creating a USB ZFS pool manually via the CLI. THis worked fine, but when I clicked on the ZFS UI section, and tried to apply changes (when OMV picked up the presence of the new ZFS pool), the UI crashed with a bad gateway exception, SSH connections were dropped, and I had to reboot the server by hand.

I couldn't find any logs in /var/log/openmediavault, and there was nothing obvious in syslog when I rebooted. The only solution was to revert the change in the UI, because each time I clicked Apply, it crashed the box.

I can reproduce this at will, but don't know how to send any logs for debugging/fixes - can you advise?

Thanks,

Peter.

• votdev this is likely a dumb question, but what's the main reason not to allow USB drives? USB3 drives a MB port or adapter card seem pretty solid, although USB sticks plugged into the front of a box wouldn't be :) I'm more than likely missing something though.

How feasible would it be to have a checkbox option somewhere users could tick to enable USB drives, along with a warning that if you tick it, you have to give up support on it, sacrifice a pet, etc?

• Offizieller Beitrag

what's the main reason not to allow USB drives?

years and years of problems people have using terrible usb controllers for raid.

How feasible would it be to have a checkbox option somewhere users could tick to enable USB drives, along with a warning that if you tick it, you have to give up support on it, sacrifice a pet, etc?

People will just tick the box and ignore the warning then. If you really want to make the mistake of using raid on usb drives, just create the array from the command line. You can do everything else in the web interface. Just try to remember that you using something designed for high availability (raid) with something that has no clue what that means (usb).

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• People will just tick the box and ignore the warning then. If you really want to make the mistake of using raid on usb drives, just create the array from the command line. You can do everything else in the web interface. Just try to remember that you using something designed for high availability (raid) with something that has no clue what that means (usb).

OK, that's a good way of describing the issue. I was really just thinking about "hey, it connects just fine, so why not?", but the design considerations help to reset my thinking. Thanks Aaron!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!