Can't add shared folders

• Hi Community,

As I am planning to install OMV on a HP N54L soon I first installed it on a VM to see if it fits my requirements. There following problem occurred:

After creating multiple partitions using CLI they appear in "Filesystems", but when I want to add a shared folder there are no Volumes available to select. All I did was creating 4 partitons using "fdisk", formatting them with ext4 using "mkfs", mounting them into "/media/subfolderForEachPartition", as well as adding them to "fstab" to have them mounted at boot using following line (adapted for each partition) :
    "/dev&sdb1 /media/sdb1 auto defaults 0 0 "
    (As I am new to Linux I don't really know what that line exactly means, just found it in a tutorial.)

I know that OMV is not designed to have multiple partitions, however, I would be pleased if there would be a possibility to use them because I want to limit the available storage space for each shared folder.

• You need to mount the partitions in the web-gui of OMV. You could format the partitions in the web-gui also. The only thing you need to do outside of the web-gui to achieve what you are after is create the partitions.

• Well, that I've found out already. But I wanted to mount them in CLI because otherwise they are mounted into folders with a long name consisting of appearingly random chars. Is there any way to achieve that? (I know that I could use a link but I want to decide where they are mounted to ^^)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Mount them in the web interface and symlink that folder to an easy to remember location.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• assembler, you must understand for which "audience" OMV was and still is designed.

It is for Home Users (people with less to none Linux knowledge) and small Business environments (still less to none Linux knowledge ;) ).
    Your demand to be able to choose where to mount your data drives does not fit in that kind of "audience".

However you should be able to edit your /etc/openmediavault/conf.xml and fstab to change these mount points, but be carefull as these changes get overwritten if you change settings in the GUI again...

Greetings
    David

PS: OMV has to use UUID to mount the drives because the drive "letters" (/dev/sd*) can change on every reboot, however it could be possible to mount them with a different name...

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Ansonsten, siehe Anhang ;)

Bilder

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Assembler, when you think about all the services that can be used by the mounted drives in OMV it is quite clear why there has to be a uniform policy in the mounting of the drives. You cannot have the drives mounted all over the place and expect the services in the web-gui to work properly. If you were to allow such a thing it would require way more programming. Tell me which professional NAS solution lets you mount your drive wherever you want through their web interface? I have never seen anyone complain about this. You can mount a drive wherever you want manually but don't expect the services in the web-gui to work with the mounted drive then. This is not a matter of novice or pro linux user. It is a matter uniformity, functionality and proper design by Volker.

• Well, actually it has never been my intention to complain. In fact, OMV is a great software. Volker has been doing great work. I am very glad OMV exists. (Oherwise I would be forced to use software like Windows Home Server ^^)

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Assembler, when you think about all the services that can be used by the mounted drives in OMV it is quite clear why there has to be a uniform policy in the mounting of the drives. You cannot have the drives mounted all over the place and expect the services in the web-gui to work properly. If you were to allow such a thing it would require way more programming. Tell me which professional NAS solution lets you mount your drive wherever you want through their web interface? I have never seen anyone complain about this. You can mount a drive wherever you want manually but don't expect the services in the web-gui to work with the mounted drive then. This is not a matter of novice or pro linux user. It is a matter uniformity, functionality and proper design by Volker.

Agreed.. I don't consider myself a "pro" Linux user, but I'm far from a novice. I really like the UUID's being used as the mount point. Just seems to be a silly thing to complain about, because if you map your shares appropriately, you'll never see the UUID (except in the command line)

Zitat von "assembler13879"

Well, actually it has never been my intention to complain. In fact, OMV is a great software. Volker has been doing great work. I am very glad OMV exists. (Oherwise I would be forced to use software like Windows Home Server ^^)

WHS.. ugh. I'd go back to Ubuntu Server..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!