What users and permissions to set up

• First time trying to set up an omv install, first time setting up a Linux machine. I've been blown away with the omv environment, but as I installed Transmission and was asked about a user and setting permissions, I started wondering.

• Some of my shares should be accessible to anyone on the network, how do I set the permissions right for the entire partition and then shares?
    • Some of my shares should be accessible only to me, how do I set the permissions right for the entire partition and then shares?
    • How do I mix the fact that "anyone on the network" and the debian-transmission user of the plugin both need read & write access?
    • For additional software that I install (outside of omv), when do I opt to create a separate user and when do I not?

So far, I've just been doing everything as root. I know this is a bad idea, I'm trying to better my setup! :thumbup:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!