Ram Error

• Offizieller Beitrag

This has nothing to do with OMV!! but today I decided to clean the internals of my server...amazing how much dust builds up over time.

Switching back on and checking web gui to make sure we're all running this is in the syslog and keeps reoccurring:

Code
    INTERNAL ERROR: csrow value is out of range (7 >= 4)
    Sep  4 09:15:29 homenas kernel: [  235.072349] EDAC MC0: 1 UE i3000 UE on any memory ( page:0x0 offset:0x0 grain:0)
    Sep  4 09:15:30 homenas kernel: [  236.096033] EDAC MC0: 1 UE i3000 UE on unknown memory (csrow:3 page:0x0 offset:0x0 grain:0)

Having done a search I have found this site which gives a solution, however it appears my bios does not contain a quick boot option, so the option is to edit grub...this is alien territory for me never done anything like this before.

Further..output from edac-util --report=full
    mc0:csrow0:mc#0csrow#0channel#0:CE:0
    mc0:csrow0:mc#0csrow#0channel#1:CE:0
    mc0:noinfo:all:UE:1474
    mc0:noinfo:all:CE:0

edac-util --report
    mc0: 1417 Uncorrected Errors with no DIMM info

I'm wondering if one of the ram sticks is on it's last legs as this is the first time this error has occurred....whilst these are ddr2 they are fortunately still available from mrmemory here in the uk.

Any pointers would be appreciated, many thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Resolved!!

Found the offending stick, took it out cleaned it, replaced, restart....same error....shutdown.

Removed second stick, cleaned it, this time changed their slots, restart and is well again!! At least I discovered a dodgy vga cable on the spare monitor and the spare vga cable works.

• Offizieller Beitrag

While dust is a semi-conductor and must be cleaned out before it gets too "thick":

Where you using compressed air? With pressure set too high, "cleaning" can have the opposite effect by forcing dust into connectors and sockets. I'm guessing that's what happened in your case.

When blowing out a box, I use 30psi (max) at a distance of 4 or 5 inches (no closer) and I put a thumb on fans to hold them still, to prevent over speed. (Compressed air can run fans far higher than their rated speeds.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Usually, I'm on the way Monday morning. In this case, it was Tuesday night. (With the holiday, driving in the colony's can be hazardous. I gave it an extra day.)

That's surprising to me - a soft brush. Maybe it pushed a few particles, just so, into the wrong place.

I do know that DIY types will try to clean out a PC with compressed air, with the mentality that more is better. At +100PSI, getting right on top the components, things may break. Fan's can be ruined as well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!