gave up waiting for root file on HP Proliant 8

• Hi,

I used to run Openmediavault on my HP Proliant 8 without any issue.

Recently, I updated the system and I tried to rename the RAID arrays (without success I am afraid). Apart from this, nothing unusual.

After reboot, I lost access through web gui and tried to re-install but I get the following error message:

"gave up waiting for root file system device"

immediately followed by a busybox shell.

Any idea how I could resolve this ?

Thnak you in advance,
    Hervé

• is your OMV instaled on the raid array?

have you tried to discconect all drives and just boot with the install disk/flash drive?

i had this problem and it was a faulty flash drive(it was to slow), i installed in a different/new flash drive and i was good again.

• Thanks for the answer.

I use a SSD drive, so I guess that it should be fine. However, I tried to boot without the HDD drives and I got the following message:

mdadm: error opening /dev/md?*: no such file or directory

followed by the same error message and shell.

Is it possible that the issue comes from the RAID arrays I tried to remove ? How can I totally erase the RAID arrays from the configuration and make a clean install ? I tried to remove the arrays via the BIOS / HP tool at boot but yesterday when I reinstall i noticed that the system still considered that there were two RAIDs (while it should have displayed the 4 HDD drives).

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried to remove the arrays via the BIOS / HP tool at boot but yesterday when I reinstall i noticed that the system still considered that there were two RAIDs (while it should have displayed the 4 HDD drives).

The above implies that the Raid is set up in the bios using the hardware raid, there is a setting in the bios you need to check first so that the system boots displaying 4 drives.

Whilst you can set up the software raid within the gui any changes must be done in the command line using mdadm.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks. I did that using mdadm and it is now showing the 4 HDD drives at install.

I however get mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically

followed by the shell on boot.

Ok, so your getting no gui? if that's the case try using omv-firstaid

• Offizieller Beitrag

I finally re-install OMV 3 (I was installing OMV 4) and got no issue whatsoever.

So problem is likely linked to OMV 4. I found other users having same issue: mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically

Ok but the last comment in that thread explains how the error was overcome and therefore resolved.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!