Enough of Rpi, now what?

• Hello again.

Thanks for the responses and sorry for the delay in mine, but my duties as new father are no joke.

What I had in mind was something like:
    1. Today I buy two HC-2 with one 2TB HDD each one and set them up in RAID-1. My thought here was that in this way I will hardly lose data. When one disk dies I can substitute it and I will still have all the info in the other disk. (Wife's daily photos are critical, you know).
    2. I may use a USB attached big HDD to store incremental backups from time to time.
    3. Tomorrow, when I need more space I buy the same hardware again and attach it to the existing setup. My thought here is that in this way I could expand seamless and unexpensively my setup and not have to "throw away" anything.
    4. Repeat step 3.

So from your answers I take that this is not possible to do this with only the HC-2s and OMV, right? Is it just a bad idea? What would you do to achieve something similar?

What I am thinking now is having those 2*X HC-2s share their drives on the network with NFS and have let's say an Odroid-C2 be the OMV and glues it all up together. Would this be a nice approach?

• Today I buy two HC-2 with one 2TB HDD each one and set them up in RAID-1. My thought here was that in this way I will hardly lose data

Totally wrong assumption and as already explained RAID across multiple server is not possible anyway (for stuff like that you need cluster filesystems)

RAID is not backup! It provides ZERO data protection mechanisms.

It's only about availability (business continuity). If you care about your data you don't need availability but instead data integrity and data protection. Do backup instead of wasting disks for bizarre redundancy no one needs at home.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So from your answers I take that this is not possible to do this with only the HC-2s and OMV, right? Is it just a bad idea? What would you do to achieve something similar?

What I am thinking now is having those 2*X HC-2s share their drives on the network with NFS and have let's say an Odroid-C2 be the OMV and glues it all up together. Would this be a nice approach?

What you can do is have your important media on one HC2 and use the other HC2 as a backup using rsync and versioned snapshots. Used this way rsync can create timestamped snapshots that looks like a full backup, but where unchanged files are "reused" in all snapshots using hard links. This also makes backups very fast and each snapshot takes up very little space. Only changes and the directory structure is backed up each time.

Versioned backups makes it easy to "go back in time" and fetch a file from before you edited it. That is one important difference to RAID.

And you can save a lot of backup space by not having to back up unimportant/replacable stuff. That is another difference to RAID.

You can have OMV on both HC2s. And have scripts that automatically creates the snapshots.

You can also send snapshots of things you care about from your PC to the backup HC2. I use this to automatically snapshot all my e-book libraries to my backup HC2 every time I use calibre (an e-book manager).

Ideally you should have more backups. For instance USB drives that you can store elsewhere or yet another HC2 in another end of the house. Or on the PC or laptop or in the cloud.

There is plenty of backup software that do something similar to rsync using incremental and full backups, perhaps with compression and encryption, but I prefer rsync. Easy to access the backups and full control using a (not very) simple tool. And easy to find and restore files. Just copy it from a timestamped folder.

I have four tiers of backups:

Important: Daily snapshots, Snapshots on USB HDDs and on my laptop and on my PC.
    Nice to keep: Daily snapshots.
    Don't really care: May perhaps have an old snapshot on an old HDD laying about.
    Snapshots: Snapshots of my laptop/PC on my HC2s. Already a backup, so I don't back it up any more.

Also I store images of the SD-cards and and the of the root filesystem of my HC2 with an SSD.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!