Mount existing ext4 drive

• Hi,

I'm searching for a NAS solution with basic features:
    - supports internal drives like mount drive and then make shares on it without the need to do any volume management etc.
    - in case of crash, being able to take data disk out, put in a normal linux or BSD computer, boot and mount it to read data; or using USB for that matter, I should just have easy access to my data without the need for reinstall of NAS software and importing an array,disk etc.
    - supports low-end hardware (Atom and 4GB memory)
    - easy to use web gui

OVM seems to fulfill my needs in regards to hardware requirements and web gui, but I can't find an answer on the first two.
    I've been looking in the documentation and the forums, but everything seems to involve RAID. My will be a single-drive solution with external backup to USB.

Regards
    Ronni

• There is absolutely, positively no requirement to use RAID with OMV.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• There is absolutely, positively no requirement to use RAID with OMV.

But does this also mean that I can put any ext4 disk in my OVM, mount it and share it's data without the need for importing or initialize it in any way?

• But does this also mean that I can put any ext4 disk in my OVM, mount it and share it's data without the need for importing or initialize it in any way?

You can do it that way.

But if you have a mismatch between client and server OS (e.g. your client OS being Windows and your server OS in this case being Linux) you'll run into troubles as soon as you start to use filename encodings that aren't true ASCII from 50 years ago or the client starts to use file metadata.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!