Network connection got lost

• Hi,

I performed an update a while ago and no errors were reported (during the update). Yesterday I found out that OMV is no longer accessible via the web interface. It seems that the DHCP is not working properly because the same IP adress is used all the time (controlled locally on the Computer running OMV and plugging a monitor). I do not have experience with the linux console, so I am not sure what to do now. I read something about the OMV-firstaid but do not know how to use it. If somebody has some hints or can help me, please let me know because I cannot connect to my files anymore.

Greetings
    Chris

• Sounds like your router gave it a different IP.

Can you access your router and see what devices are attached? Then you should be able to find the IP that your OMV box is on.

Use that IP to access your OMV box.

Your OMV box should have a static IP, You can try this.

Go back into the router and check to see what range the DHCP is set for. Mine is under LAN SetUp and DHCP Start is 192.168.1.100 and End is 192.168.1.110. Yours is very likely different but the range is the last part of the DHCP .100 to .110

Now log into OMV click Network, then click Interfaces, then click on what should be eth0 to highlight it, then click on Edit, there will be a popup
    - change the method to Static
    - change the address to one outside the Routers DHCP range - my OMV is at 192.168.1.11
    -- ENSURE that the first three numbers match your LAN/Routers first three numbers
    -- the fourth number (my .11) can be most any outside the DHCP range other than your routers (probably .1) and .255
    - set the Netmask to 255.255.255.0
    - set the Gateway to the Routers IP (probably 192.168.1.1)
    - click OK

Now you should be able to access your OMV box through the new static IP you just gave it all the time.

• If you have an adroid phone, or iphone, download an app called "fing". You can use that app to scan your network when you are hooked up to it's wifi. It should tell you what address your OMV is on if it has changed.

Once the app is installed make sure you phone is on your wifi. Then start the app and press the curved arrow at the upper right corner.

• Hey, thanks a lot but I am sure it is not the router. It seems that OMV is not configured as a DHCP client as it should be. If I use a linux live cd, then everything works and the PC (where OMV is installed on) gets an IP from the router (the router is configured as a DHCP server). I have checked this on the router. When running OMV instead the router cannot recognize the OMV computer and no IP is sent to OMV. OMV displays (plugging a monitor) that always the same IP address is used but this address is not listed in the router list. It seems that OMV uses a static IP address (after the update). How can I reset the settings to DHCP (is it the default setting?)? Or am I wrong? Thanks!

@DaveVM
    I configured the router DHCP from .100 to .105 since OMV uses a fixed IP .106. But I am not able to connect using the web interface and .106. I am not sure but can I use DHCP together with a static method?

• One thing I did forget in the previous post, sorry, is to ensure that on the OMV box under Network, then DNS Server, be sure to set the primary and secondary to the IP of your router, again most likely 192.168.1.1

Since it works from a Live CD and not from the OMV setup check OMV to ensure it is indeed in the same network as your router. Sometimes numbers run together for me and I will read 192.186.1.1 as 192.168.1.1

You should be able to use both static and DHCP assigned IP's on your network. Unless there is some setting in your router blocking it.

My Netgear router will pick up static defined IP's from items connecting like my OMV box, the router also will assign a static IP based on the MAC address of the connecting device if set up in the router LAN options.

Ideally though the OMV box should have a static IP. That way it is always at the same place.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!