Share folders for others

• Hello guys,
    im knew to OMV and this Forum. I bought a used NAS and want to install OMV now. But i dont know if its the right thing for me. Primary i want to save some multimedia there like movies and pictures. My question is: Is it possible to share e.g. a picture-folder with friends? Or is it just possible to log in over the internet to the NAS and having access to the folder then?

Thank you for your advice and best regards
    Alex

• Offizieller Beitrag

I bought a used NAS and want to install OMV now.

You should post what type of NAS you bought. Someone might know if OMV can be installed on that or not.

Is it possible to share e.g. a picture-folder with friends?

Yes, this is possible for example by using Nextcloud. Have a look at this video and the next one in that thread.

• Hello,
    yes i should have mentioned that. I have a selfmade NAS with an ASUS H87i-Plus, a Xeon 1230 v3 and 8 Gb RAM. I think that should work.
    Allright thanks for the answer. I will have a look an that!
    Is it right that there is no file manager and one has to use e.g. Midnight Commander over SSH?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it right that there is no file manager and one has to use e.g. Midnight Commander over SSH?

There is no native OMV web based file manager. You can use mc but you can also use winscp, samba, nfs, and various other web based filemanagers installed with the nginx plugin. The biggest problem with a web based file manager is it basically needs root permissions to do everything you want and that would be dangerous. Why do you need a web-based file manager?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!