Access to Systemdrive

• Hi,

first thanks for this nice OS.

I run it on a N54L from HP. Using it as hdd for sat receivers,backups,oscamserver,....

Im not that linux freak, some basics, so i need a bit help. I need ftp acess to the system drive to edit and copy configs of oscam and some other things.

how can i get that, i tried it over the gui but it doesnt let me select the systemdrive on ftp menu.

The System Drive is /dev/sdc

Bilder

| HP N54L Tobi´ 00 BIOS@2013 | 8GB 1333 | 2x WD-Black 320GB md0 / in TopDock | AMCC 9650SE-4LPML hwraid 4 x 3TB WD Green RAID5 mit BBU |
    | SlimLine Bluray in the Top Dock | Powerwalker 650 USV | Edimax WLAN | IcyBox 2x2TB RAID1 via eSATA |
    | Storage at the moment : 12.58TB |

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von eimsbush ()

• Is it neccessary to have FTP access (access via internet?!) or does samba serves your needs?
    As far as I'm concerned proftpd is chrooted so you cannot break out of this folder with a symbolic link, but samba can do this.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi,

ftp is not necessary, even samba would do it.

i need no acess over the internet, only on the local network.

| HP N54L Tobi´ 00 BIOS@2013 | 8GB 1333 | 2x WD-Black 320GB md0 / in TopDock | AMCC 9650SE-4LPML hwraid 4 x 3TB WD Green RAID5 mit BBU |
    | SlimLine Bluray in the Top Dock | Powerwalker 650 USV | Edimax WLAN | IcyBox 2x2TB RAID1 via eSATA |

• Then make a shared folder.
    Add it as a Samba folder, and put

Code
    symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes

to the extra options to the share.
    Add

Code
    unix extensions = no
    follow symlinks = yes
    wide links = yes

to the extra options of samba.

Go to the commandline, change to the the share, and add a symlink to your oscam directory.

Code
    cd /media/UUIDOFYOURDISK/SHAREDFOLDER/
    ln -s /home/user/oscam oscam

That should suffice, you maybe need to look up that your samba user can access the oscam folder

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hi,

isnt it possible to give root full acess to system drive??

its not only oscam im working on, its steam, vpn, lcd4linux, and i need to copy alot.

Or should i switch to a real debian

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV does not share the root filesystem because of security reasons and as a normal user you are normally not interested in changing anything in the OS. If you need this you have to workaround this limitation, also note that you can not meet all user requirements with a single product. OMV is no Webmin that allows you to admin the WHOLE system, it is designed to simplify the workflow that a normal user expects from a NAS.

• Thats why im here to ask how to do it

working with nano over ssh just makes me sick

i can acess with ssh every freaking folder, /usr /var and so on.

so i think its even possible to do it, or do u just dont want it? thats why i use a linux os, normally u can modify it for that what u want to do with it and now u limit THAT?

seems i have to head on to another debian based os.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV is a "real" Debian. It is a web interface over Debian Squeeze. Whatever you can do in Debian Squeeze can be done in OMV. Just not everything from the web interface. If you want more web based features, install webmin. A lot of commercial NAS boxes run linux and don't give you access to the system drive. Not sure why OMV should and I'm not sure another debian based OS is going to give you all these features without using the command line. A server running headless linux is usually going to require the command line.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I don't get it either why you are so eager that a share would be faster than using nano on the commandline.
    If you're a little bit used to it, its way faster to manage config files via the commandline! Also nano is one of the easiest editors out there on linux!

As ryeco pointed out, some NAS boxes don't even give you access to the system disk.

Another tip would be to move the config files (and only them!) to your data partitions.

@Volker: I know that it is a script that prevents the root device from showing in the webinterface, but couldn't you implement a feature for "experienced" users to allow the use in the webinterface?

Greetings
    David

• i could make home folders and users for every binary i want to add and run it via su?

i like the idea with the feature for "exp users". maybe with a warn and a captcha.

• Sure you can... but you can't run any binaries ON your data disks! For security reasons you cannot execute files on data disks!

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

@Volker: I know that it is a script that prevents the root device from showing in the webinterface, but couldn't you implement a feature for "experienced" users to allow the use in the webinterface?

Greetings
    David

well if you are an experienced user i guess you would be using ssh and cli anyhow.

• Yeah for sure, but for some reasons it could be reasonable to use the webinterface for some functions...

Greetings
    David

• But be carefull because you cannot execute files on OMVs data disks!

Greetings
    David

• Programs that use the home directories usually don't have the executables in the home folders. I'm just trying to say the program would install in normal locations and the home directory, where data is likely saved, would be on the data drive. This is a funny thread.

To the original poster, did you see this?

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1289

There is a plugin on .4 OMV for openvpn. There is a a thread on lcd4linux. I think you should slow down and just think about 1 program you want to install at a time. Ask for help along the way. You will get used to how things are in OMV. We spent a lot of time making these guides so it would be easier for people. There are many people using OMV that are not experts in linux.

• i dont want to execute something on the data disk, i want to execute binaries on the freaking system drive.

even with chmod 777 i cant see all folders, what is this

link is great.

Zitat

Information

Du hast keine Berechtigung, dieses Forum zu lesen.

• "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

• just

f o r g e t

it

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!