Strange NFS issues with ESXi hosts

• Hello,

I have 2 ESXi 6.5 hosts connected via NFS to my OMV box. All of this runs over 10GB through mellanox connectx-3 cards. Over the past few days the virtual machines that resides on the NFS shares have been having issues and most recently, the ESXi hosts lost complete connectivity to the shares. I am not seeing anything in the syslog related to NFS. Most virtual machines are running on a RAID 1 pair of SSDs so IOPS shouldnt be an issue. Since there is nothing in the syslog is their anywhere else I can look for clues? Below is a copy of my etc/exports, any help would be appreciated. The async parameter on the SSD_VMs export is something i had read could increase performance so I am testing it out.

# This configuration file is auto-generated.
    # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will be lost.
    #
    # /etc/exports: the access control list for filesystems which may be exported
    # to NFS clients.See exports(5).
    /export/ISO 192.168.30.0/24(fsid=1,rw,no_root_squash)
    /export/VMs 192.168.30.0/24(fsid=2,rw,no_root_squash)
    /export/SSD_VMs 192.168.30.0/24(fsid=3,rw,no_root_squash,async)
    # NFSv4 - pseudo filesystem root
    /export 192.168.30.0/24(ro,fsid=0,root_squash,no_subtree_check,hide)

• Any thoughts? It looks like the NAS disconnects from the ESXi hosts at least once a day for the ESXi logs but reconnects a couple of minutes later. There are no events that correspond to this in the system log. Any help would be appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What version of OMV? What release of 6.5? I am using nfs v3 from an up to date OMV 4.x box but my ESXi systems are the latest 6.7u1.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I am using the latest version of omv 4.x with one host at 6.5u2 and one at 6.7u1. they lose connectivity at the exact same time so I do not believe it is a VMware issue. I am going g to update the firmware on my connectx-3 that is in my omv server and see if that solves the issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

Definitely sounds network related. I assume you are using the 4.18 kernel on OMV?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know it sounds backwards but you might consider using the 4.15 proxmox (ubuntu 18 LTS) kernel (install with omv-extras kernel tab). It might be a bit more stable with that mellanox card.

• Offizieller Beitrag

any downside to doing that?

I use it on about half my systems. Proxmox is very well tested and it is the debian 9 userland with the ubuntu 18 kernel. This is what your system would be if you install it. And you don't have to uninstall the 4.18 kernel until you know the 4.15 is good.

• I use it on about half my systems. Proxmox is very well tested and it is the debian 9 userland with the ubuntu 18 kernel. This is what your system would be if you install it. And you don't have to uninstall the 4.18 kernel until you know the 4.15 is good.

I am going to update the firmware on the card and if that doesnt solve the issue, I will try the proxmox kernel.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am going to update the firmware on the card and if that doesnt solve the issue, I will try the proxmox kernel.

Good plan.

• Offizieller Beitrag

no issues in the past two weeks, thanks for the kernel change suggestion!

glad to hear :)

• I just started having an issue with this OMV 4.x install where the nfs server dies and restarts and all the VMs stored on the nfs goes with it. I am already using 4.15 kernel. Here is my information below:

Exports file

And occasionally I see these in dmesg:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!