New to OMV...

• Hi all just start to build my own NAS and after long search I decide3the OMV will be the best for my needs.
    For now I am just using an old PC to "play" and learn about. My setup right now
    - Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo ( lga 1366 , 6 x so dim , 6x Sata3 , 2 x Sata 6 , no video on board )
    - Intel I7 960 quad core
    - 3 x 4GB DDR3 1600
    - Asus Amd R5 230 video card
    - 10Gtek® Intel 82576 Chip Gigabit Pcie ( the on board lan is not recognized by OMV and the only way to get the driver is trough installer but it is a Realtek based so I prefer Intel)
    - 2 x 3Tb 3.5" hdd
    - 1 x 1Tb 2.5" hdd
    - 1 x 32Gb SSD ( for OMV install)
    - 650W Psu
    I know that is not the ideal hardware but at least is something that I can start with.

The main use for the NAS will be file storage/sharing , Plex or similar and other "goodies" in the feature depending on the resources needed and functionality.

What I want to achieve : streaming video( full hd and blu ray rip maybe some 4k ) to 2 - 3 devices ( I know the transcoding will be the biggest problem) , backup 2 desktop and 1 laptop and torrent client.

Right now I am looking for a good alternative energy efficient to run 24/7. Don't think I can change something on my setup so most probably I will have to go with a SBC or a different mobo and CPU.
    What are this days the best performance/price options for my needs please?

For now ( first setup)
    Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo
    Intel I7 960 quad core
    Asus AMD R5 230 video card
    10Gtek® Intel 82576 Chip Gigabit Ethernet Converged Network Adapter (NIC), Dual RJ45 Copper Ports, PCI Express 2.0 X 1
    12GB DDR3 @1600
    32GB SSD for OMV system
    2 x 3TB 3.5" HDD
    1 X 1TB 2.5" HDD
    Corsair case and Zetec 650W PSU

Runing latest versio ( stable )

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a whole thread on efficent SBCs.

I have good experience with ODROID HC2s. I use 5 of them for streaming, storage and backups. 4 of them with OMV. One HC2 with a SSD for streaming media, from the other HC2s, and other server apps. The others just with very big spinning hdds. I also have an old Synology NAS with 4x4TB for extra backups.

I would suggest that you try a HC2 with a really big hdd (12 TB?) and use your old setup for backups. Not the cheapest, but stable and reliable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Really it depends on your budget, the performance you're looking for, and whether or not virtualization or heavy usage of Dockers is likely. For the widest selection of Dockers and the ability to run virtual guests with desktops, you'd need an X64 platform with a good performing CPU and 8GB of ram (give or take - more would be better).

If you're more about energy efficiency, some go to the used market for an HP microserver (the N54L is the fastest of the G7 micro's or maybe a N40L). While these platforms are designed to be power efficient, they don't compare to ARM platforms that will run on a few watts. -> Energy Efficient Arm Platforms

**One word of caution, DON'T get a Raspberry Pi. While they're popular, an R-PI's performance is among the worst in the market.**

ARM platforms will do most of what you listed, to include running Plex. Again, their limitations are mostly related to virtualization, and a narrower selection of Dockers. However, when you mention "transcoding" video streams, you'd need more CPU power than most ARM devices offer.

In my opinion:
    Given the possibility of transcoding (we'll assume one 4K stream) and the requirement for multiple client backups, I'd go with an i5 or something else with a passmark CPU score of 4000 or better. If the transcoding requirement is dropped, much more modest hardware could be used.

BTW: For backing up your clients, take a look at UrBackup. OMV has a plugin for it.

• Still digging on the forum and trying to get the informations about this.

Maybe a noob question but how do you use this 5 ( or the 4 with OMV) ? Are they separate servers or some how they form a single server? What about transcoding ( I know this is one of the most power hungry operation) they can handle 4k or at least full hd ?
    Allready have one external 8tb hdd which I plan to use it to backup all other hard drives from the main unit weekly.

For now ( first setup)
    Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo
    Intel I7 960 quad core
    10Gtek® Intel 82576 Chip Gigabit Ethernet Converged Network Adapter (NIC), Dual RJ45 Copper Ports, PCI Express 2.0 X 1
    12GB DDR3 @1600
    32GB SSD for OMV system
    2 x 3TB 3.5" HDD
    1 X 1TB 2.5" HDD

• What about transcoding ( I know this is one of the most power hungry operation)

The ARM SoCs all have powerful dedicated video engines (since these platforms are designed for exactly this use case -- encoding and decoding video efficiently with HW acceleration. It makes absolutely no sense at all to run such stuff on the CPU cores as long as you're not mastering video)

The problem is usually the software stack to be able to benefit from these video engines. At the time of this writing I only know about the older Exynos 5422 platform (ODROID XU4, HC1, HC2) where this is possible: https://forum.armbian.com/topi…u4hc1hc2-armbian-stretch/

But this won't work out of the box, I personally never dealt with emby and also have no idea how this would integrate with OMV. So this is just a remainder that the ARM platforms are all capable of doing transcoding in hardware but usually lack the software support... at least in Linux (with Android due to different APIs no problem whatsoever).

My hope is that RK3399 which contains even more powerful video hardware (can deal with 2 cameras and up to 4 displays at the same time and able to encode/decode a bunch of video streams at the same time) will get ready eventually. But this is 2019 stuff...

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Not sure what you're asking here. "What is 5 or 4?" If you're talking about the N54L or the N40L, they're two different models of the older HP G7 Microserver. They're older hardware that can be found on auction sites.

2. Without transcoding, you could do what you stated with 1/4 of the CPU power. (Using Passmark CPU speed) 4K needs about 4000, 1080P about 2000, 720p about 1500.
    A straight file server can run on 1000 and easily stream high resolution files in native format (no transcoding) What most people don't realize is, they can use a utility like handbrake and transcode media files into formats that devices can understand before streaming them. This can be setup for a batch process, in Handbrake. There;s even a Video How-TO for setting up auto transcoding.

3. With backup, you're already way ahead of the game.

Other than spinning the power meter faster than is necessary, there's nothing wrong with the hardware you have for now. I'd configure, tune, configure and tune some more. Then evaluate your existing needs and, maybe, try to project what you may need in the future. (Bigger HD's?, a different media server, etc.) At that point, you might have a idea of the hardware you might want to buy.

HINT: To do a better search of the forum, try using Google. In the search terms line, include OMV. Usually that will bring you right back to this forum and those searches tend to give more and better results, than the built-in forum search.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe a noob question but how do you use this 5 ( or the 4 with OMV) ? Are they separate servers or some how they form a single server? What about transcoding ( I know this is one of the most power hungry operation) they can handle 4k or at least full hd ?

I use my HC2s as individual nodes. But they access each other over GbE for what is stored on them. I use NFS with autofs (not a part of OMV) so that they reconnect automatically to each other as needed and I don't have to start them in any specific order.

I have PLEX on the central HC2 and it streams directly to my devices, without any transcoding. And the devices scale as needed. I stream full HD from PLEX over WiFi without any issues. Haven't tried 4K.

I would have liked to use a big chunk of the 512 GB SSD on the central HC2 as a big NFS read cache, using FS-Cache, but it seems I will have to recompile to enable that. It works pretty good as it is.

I wouldn't mind a more powerful central SBC server, but just a HC2 seems to work OK for now. I also use the central HC2 for home automation and music streaming and some other tasks. A HC2 is overkill just for storage, so I under-clocked the storage servers a bit.

• Thank you all for your answers. It's great to still find forums where people are so open and helpful.
    I think I will get one of the HC2 at least to see how it's working and maybe to use it for transmission only and sync with the main server.

The main problem I have with my setup is the noise from the fans. In total I have 5 fans on my case , 1 for CPU , 1 from the PSU and 3 PWM chassis. The board been a somehow vintage on the BIOS I have only 3 profiles : full , normal and silent. Even with silent activated still get a decent noise from fans. Didn't find any plugin yet which may help me tunning the fans speed and I was wondering if I really need all this fans. On a windows setup on the same machine I need all , but if running like server ? Looking at the fact that a lot of boards are fanless or they have only 1 fan for the CPU.

Is there any plugin that can monitor and show the temps / fan speeds and let me change the fans speed ?

L.E.
    Also is there any way to change the background/size on the page where I input the root and password( not sure the name)? My dispaly is a fully white/milk colour and if ai want to use "omv-firstaid" I am typing blindly as I can't see anything.

For now ( first setup)
    Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo
    Intel I7 960 quad core
    12GB DDR3 @1600
    32GB SSD for OMV system
    2 x 3TB 3.5" HDD
    1 X 1TB 2.5" HDD

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von razvanrudy ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, try installing PuTTY so you can SSH into your server, from a client, to get on the command line. To use PuTTY, under Services, SSH, you'll have to enable Permit Root Login.
    (That should help with the monitor problem.)

There's no OMV plugin for fan speed. You could try lm-sensors, to look at temp's on the command line.
    (Search on Debian and lm-sensors to install it, and set it up.)

There may be something out there for controlling Debian chassis fans. If there is, I'm not aware of it.

I'd continue to control the CPU and PS fans with BIOS:
    While looking at the various temp' sensors, you could look at the effects of, maybe, unplugging a chassis fan or two. Don't forget to check temp's under a sustained load, using something like an Rsync job.
    (My personal preference would be to keep all temp's under 50C. That's me - others will run them a bit higher.)
    You can check on-line for more guidance.

• You could get fans that have thermoelectric sensors prove that automatically ramp up the speed when the sensor probe gets hot, or buy a fan controller that has multiple sensors and can be fine tuned for your build.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The budget variant is to simulate a worst case. High ambient temperature and high processing load and sustained file transfer. And then lower the fan speeds, or remove fans, so the temp still is OK, but only just.

• Something new to learn 8o ....PuTTy.....

I know about external fan controllers but I was looking to have something on the OMV mainly because the unit will be not that easy to reach at.

For now ( first setup)
    Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo
    Intel I7 960 quad core
    12GB DDR3 @1600
    32GB SSD for OMV system
    2 x 3TB 3.5" HDD
    1 X 1TB 2.5" HDD

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!