Can't see Existing Folders

• I have managed to get shares configured, but when I browse the shares from Windows, I can't see folders that already exist on the shares. I have not yet tried it from another Linux box. I did't want to try creating a new folder until I was sure it wouldn't somehow prevent me from getting to the folders I can't currently see.

I feel like I'm close, but I don't know what I haven't done.

• So I have to share the existing folders separately?

I thought I could get away with sharing the root of the partition... Maybe I did that part incorrectly?

I'll ave to wait until I get home to check out the videos. I watched a couple of the tech dad videos to get to where I am. There's nothing there (that I saw) though about setting up shares that already have an established folder hierarchy.

• I did that. The shares show up in windows, but I can't see the existing folders in the share.

I see this:

OMVMedia
    |
    + Media2
    + Media3

Both Media2 and Media3 have the following folders

Media2
    |
    + Movies
    + TV Shows
    + Music

But I don't see those three folders under either of the shares.

• I have five analog drives, each are 2TB to 3TB. The volume labels are "Media_1" through "Media_5"

All of the drives have a single EXT4 partition consuming all of the space on the drive.

All of the drives have existing data (the three folders I mentioned in my prior message, along with files in those folders).

I created one share for each of the drives ("Media1" through "Media5") (set read/write to everyone).

I added these shares to the SMB service (public and with inheritance turned on).

When I browse the shares in Windows, I can see the server and the shares.

However, when I browse to a given share, I cannot see the folders that already exist.

I suspect it might be a permissions problem, but I'm not sure (and I don't understand why that would be the case since I setup the entire partition as a single share).

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK now I think I understand,

1) The drives had exiting data on them, that data is stored in the three folders you stated previously Movies, Tv Shows, Music.

2) You have created a share for each drive Media1 through Media5

3) You expected the folders that are on the drive to display under Media1 through Media5

There's nothing there (that I saw) though about setting up shares that already have an established folder hierarchy.

There isn't, as I said I'm understanding what you are trying to explain. Your drives have existing data on them, if they do OMV does not know about that data, if you look in File Systems and your mounted drives OMV knows the drive size, how much free space and how much used space, but that's all. It doesn't know what data is there because it wasn't placed there during OMV use.

If that's the case then we may be able to sort this out but it's gonna be a PITA and require time and patience, and the use of an FTP client, if you don't have one installed install WinSCP on one of your windows machines.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!