NTFS Support

• Hello all,

I understand that NTFS is highly not recommended for OMV (which I love so much, thank you for building this software for us). I still want to try it out because I have several hard drives (NTFS) filled with contents. I want to plug them into my OMV server and start using it.

Can someone please let me know how to make OMV support NTFS please.

Thank you very much for your time!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

My future drives will be formatted as EXT4 or whatever OMV recommended.

• Actually you can use an NTFS HDD on your OMV with no problem at all not recommended but not that hard to do actually.

The biggest problem I had was to actually have write access on the HDD and that was because windows does something stupid and blocks the HDD you need to fully shutdown while that HDD is connected to your windows system (Shift + Left click on shutdown button on windows 10)

After that just plug it into your omv machine mount it and your pretty much done.

Mount it in file system

Than for example give access to it to your plex server (all your mounted devices are under /srv mine has a funny long name

)

• 1. Buy new drive.
    2. Install in OMV using Linux FS of choice. (I use ext4 but I thought I read somewhere that OMV was moving away from ext4?)
    3. Copy files over your network from NTFS drive connected to a Windows machine to the new drive in OMV
    4. Put NTFS drive in OMV machine and wipe/format to Linux FS of choice.
    5. Repeat step 3.
    6. Repeat step 4.
    7. When all data is recovered from NTFS drives, wipe Windows drive and install Linux.

• Than for example give access to it to your plex server (all your mounted devices are under /srv mine has a funny long name

)

You can not invent a docker Container path.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You can not invent a docker Container path.

:)) well it is not invented, I am using the official plex docker not the linuxserver one (it was failing to discover the server) https://hub.docker.com/r/plexinc/pms-docker/

If you read carefully:

Code
    -v <path/to/media>:/data This is provided as examples for providing media into the container. The exact structure of how the media is organized and presented inside the container is a matter of user preference. You can use as many or as few of these parameters as required to provide your media to the container.

you can pretty much add any folder, and you can access it in your plex server.

• /ntfs is not a valid Container path. Only /data, /config, and /transcode are valid.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I understand what you say but like I said, it will take many hours to copy off of my drives.

• Wow how did you do that. Did you have to install Plug In or anything for it to work? Let me try again with the Left Shift Shut Down thing... Thank you again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTW... I don't know unix or linux at all :) coming from Windows y'all

Just means you'll need 2 hats ;) the thing is Linux will mount and read an NTFS drive, try plugging a drive formatted to EXT4 in Linux into a Windows machine...it wants to format it!!

But take note of @jollyrogr post whilst this would be a PITA the overall outcome is beneficial + there is a way to mount an EXT4 drive on a windows box :)

• /ntfs is not a valid Container path. Only /data, /config, and /transcode are valid.

Sorry to disappoint even /bunny is a valid name :)) it does not matter in official plex docker image

Just because you are in denial it does not mean it's not working.

• Wow how did you do that. Did you have to install Plug In or anything for it to work? Let me try again with the Left Shift Shut Down thing... Thank you again.

Will try to make it as simple as possible.

If hard drive was connected to a windows machine windows 8, 8.1 or 10 you need to perform a full shutdown, to do that you need to hold shift and click the shutdown button.
    You can read why here: ntfs and ubuntu
    More complicated way to do a full shutdown: Windows 10 full shutdown

After performing the previous step you just need to connect your HDD to the OMV machine, I use an external hdd dock.
    Open your omv control panel and go to STORAGE > DISKS

If your HDD is present in this list than you need to go to STORAGE >> FILE SYSTEM select your hdd and click on MOUNT

You need to wait until it mounts, if it does not mount than you need to ssh and manually mount it but I will describe how to do that if this does not work.

You are now done, you can create sharefolders in this NTFS HDD, and you can just move all you files into this folder, not really needed though.

Now if you have media files and you want them in your plex server you will need the official PLEX docker image, it is similar to install like the linuxserver

https://github.com/plexinc/pms-docker

You can find videos on youtube my config is simple see below

Hope this will help other people that want to use their Windows HDD.

As a mention from the above config /srv/dev-disk-by-bale-New Volume is the external HDD path
    if you ssh into your server cd /srv and do a ls -la or ll if you made it an alias you should see all your mounted HDD for me there are two

• It worked!!! Thank you, very very much!!! Save me tons of hours from converting to EXT4.

• You need to wait until it mounts, if it does not mount than you need to ssh and manually mount it but I will describe how to do that if this does not work.

Hi folks,
    I tried to mount my external storage hdd but im getting an error if I try to mount it.
    I connected it to my Windows PC and shift-shotdowned it.

This is the error im getting:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; mount -v --source '/dev/disk/by-label/Datengrab' 2>&1' with exit code '21': modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.19.50-v7l+/modules.dep.bin' modprobe: FATAL: Module fuse not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.50-v7l+ ntfs-3g-mount: fuse device is missing, try 'modprobe fuse' as root

any suggestions?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!