New to OMV and Rasberry pi 3 b+

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you mean shared folder ACLs?

Yes.

Can you please explain why?

Because they are a terrible afterthought added to Linux to try and fit the Windows permissions model.

I have found that in life the devil is in the details, and little things like ACL settings can mean the difference between success or failure in setting up a home NAS.

Not sure why. I have using Linux as a samba server (and more) for over 15 years in home and production environments and never needed ACLs.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll try it without them then and see how it goes. I am at the early stages of this project and haven't really committed any vital data to my shares yet.

Should I also stick with Samba alone and not worry about setting up Apple Filing too? My Macs seem to be working fine with the Samba shares. I decided to run a Odroid-xu4 with Ubuntu Mate, just for fun to see what the Linux thing is all about. Haven't got it up to sharing yet but I haven't tried very hard. A bit off topic. Sorry.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should I also stick with Samba alone and not worry about setting up Apple Filing too? My Macs seem to be working fine with the Samba shares

Yep, I wouldn't worry about AFP since Apple is moving toward using samba.

I decided to run a Odroid-xu4 with Ubuntu Mate, just for fun to see what the Linux thing is all about. Haven't got it up to sharing yet but I haven't tried very hard.

It is pretty easy.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, I wouldn't worry about AFP since Apple is moving toward using samba.

I wouldn't worry about it except it won't go away. In omv I can turn the smb shares off and they go away on my Mac. If I turn on the SMB shares and turn off the AFP shares, SMB shows up again but the AFP shares persist, so that I have a double instance of my server showing up on my computer. I don't have any problems with my servers doing their jobs, it just bugs me to have a redundancy showing up. Is this because of the netatalk plugin on omv? Is there some way I can get rid of this ugliness?

Here's a screenshot of the situation showing my laptop and three servers. The first two servers (hc1 & hc2) have smb turned on and apf turned off, and the third (xu4) has smb turned off and afp turned on.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!