Why should you use or not use dockers

• @ryecoaaron @TechnoDadLife
    I have seen that the nginx-plugin in omv5 is provided as a docker. The following question: What will the docker-container suggest and how will I be able to manage the individual pages? (Graphical or Console)
    How can I then include my Letsencrypt certificates in it? I think this is a luxury from the current plugin.

omv 6.x | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 6.x |
    used plugins: omv-extras | portainer | rsnapshot | antivirus
    used container: portainer/portainer | nextcloud/all-in-one | linuxserver/swag | paperless-ngx | jellyfin/jellyfin | lmscommunity/logitechmediaserver | adguard/adguardhome |

• openmediavault-openvpn - docker

:(

What has changed between OMV 4 and OMV 5 that makes plugin reworking necessary? I really don't want to see the OpenVPN plugin die (even if Docker is an alternative) and would like to try fixing it up if time permits. Although I did try to do the same thing with the openmediavault-sensors plugin unsuccessfully.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What has changed between OMV 4 and OMV 5 that makes plugin reworking necessary?

Moving from omv-mkconf to omv-salt. The problem with the openvpn plugin is that the mkconf part of the plugin is the most complicated part of the plugin and it isn't going to be easy to translate it to jinja/salt. Maybe you should look into using wireguard and docker?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

For Wireguard one does not need docker, I would say.

When adding the unstable repo to the system and using packages from it (even if pinning), I prefer doing that in a docker.

But a UI would be nice.

What would you configure in the UI?

Did you see my script on wireguard on OMV?

Yes, I saw the script.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Moving from omv-mkconf to omv-salt. The problem with the openvpn plugin is that the mkconf part of the plugin is the most complicated part of the plugin and it isn't going to be easy to translate it to jinja/salt. Maybe you should look into using wireguard and docker?

Hmm. This is really pushing my Linux knowledge. I am not all that familiar with mkconf or how it is supposed to operate, nor do I know anything about jinja/salt. I suppose I could look in to WireGuard, but OpenVPN is definitely preferable.

At least I found the mkconf - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…mediavault/mkconf/openvpn

What makes it so special though? It's just a shell script.

• I´m pretty sure ryecoaaron would not say it is complicated if it is not. Either way - Docker is the preferrable way to go. If you do like that, you can port the plugin to 5.x, of course. It is always good to have more plugin developers :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I suppose I could look in to WireGuard, but OpenVPN is definitely preferable.

Why? wireguard is the future :)

What makes it so special though? It's just a shell script.

Yep, just a shell script that is doing things in a very "shell" way that does not translate that well to jinja. Feel free to take a crack at it :)

• Why? wireguard is the future :)

Out of curiosity, is this a joke or true? I know nothing about wireguard, but am willing to move from OpenVPN to wireguard if it's truly the future...

Now is the time, since I didn't catch that OpenVPN wouldn't be a plug-in, so I can make the switch now before OMV 5 comes out.

Is this old airplane safe to fly? How in the world do you think it got to be this old?

• Offizieller Beitrag

is this a joke or true?

No, I wasn't joking. While it hasn't been mainlined to the kernel yet, it has become extremely popular because its code base is much, much smaller and performance is better. Everything about its setup is much simpler as well.

• No, I wasn't joking. While it hasn't been mainlined to the kernel yet, it has become extremely popular because its code base is much, much smaller and performance is better. Everything about its setup is much simpler as well.

Cool, thanks! I'll have to look into it as the replacement for OpenVPN, so it's in place before OMV 5 comes out. My only complaint with OpenVPN was the performance, it wasn't as fast as I would have liked - but I liked how simple it was to setup (I used the Plugin, not the docker - missed the fact that it wasn't being ported over to OMV 5). If wireguard is easier - sounds like a win/win.

Is it going to end up as a plugin for OMV 5, or a docker only?

Is this old airplane safe to fly? How in the world do you think it got to be this old?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is it going to end up as a plugin for OMV 5, or a docker only?

If using a docker is simple (I haven't tried a docker myself) then I would like to avoid writing a plugin for it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I may backtrack on this and make it a plugin. After looking at docker options and how they work, I don't really like that method. We'll see. It won't happen on OMV 4.x though. Just OMV 5.x.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What has changed between OMV 4 and OMV 5......

Moving from omv-mkconf to omv-salt.

In the How-to video Fix Plex ... @TechnoDadLife shows how to fix a Plex bug by removing noexec from the config.xml file. After removal and saving the file, omv-mkconf fstab is entered in the command line to seal the deal, so to speak. I am trying to do this with a test omv5 install, so how does mkconf command translate to a salt command?

• Offizieller Beitrag

After removal and saving the file, omv-mkconf fstab is entered in the command line to seal the deal, so to speak. I am trying to do this with a test omv5 install, so how does mkconf command translate to a salt command?

omv-salt deploy run fstab

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ryecoaaron Thank you very much!

(35 minutes later)

omv-salt deploy run fstab

It worked! Thanks again.

• I may backtrack on this and make it a plugin. After looking at docker options and how they work, I don't really like that method. We'll see. It won't happen on OMV 4.x though. Just OMV 5.x.

That would be absolutely awesome. I'm planning on fiddling with the docker this weekend, but what I like about the OpenVPN plugin as it currently stands is the GUI that near as I can tell essentially translates into what the CLI needs. I would prefer that over dealing with a docker and a CLI (not that I'm afraid of it, but my Linux/Unix is rusty to say the least).

If I had one suggestion going forward if you were going to make it a plugin - is give the ability in the GUI to add the IP address of the default network gateway. I was trying to route all traffic through my VPN and couldn't figure it out, until I edited the config file (default gateway if I remember was 192.168.1.0, and mine is 192.168.1.1).

Either way, I'll make it work - thanks for all the semi-thankless work you do!

• Offizieller Beitrag

is give the ability in the GUI to add the IP address of the default network gateway.

Unfortunately, if the plugin did this, it might be changed by changing settings in the Network settings of OMV. I need to test this.

• Unfortunately, if the plugin did this, it might be changed by changing settings in the Network settings of OMV. I need to test this.

That might explain why I had to edit the config file for OpenVPN. I set a static IP address in my router, and this is what my network settings are on my OMV. I don't think I missed any steps in installation, but that is distinctly possible.

• Why? wireguard is the future :)

Mostly because OpenVPN is configured on all of my family's devices and reconfiguring them is kind of inconvenient. Especially since none of them really know what the point of the VPN is beyond "if I do this then I can get to my stuff in my house without being in my house." Also I run an OpenVPN server from my router as well, and switching between using

Yep, just a shell script that is doing things in a very "shell" way that does not translate that well to jinja. Feel free to take a crack at it :)

Possibly a stupid question, but I have to ask: can you run shell scripts from Jinja/Salt? I tried answering this myself by Googling "jinja/salt execute shell script", but I cannot find a straightforward answer. Possibly because I am not sure what to look for, as I am not sure what Jinja/Salt is.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!