Xfce4 Failed Login

• Hi there,
    I'll preface by saying that while I have a strong tech background, I'm soft in the Linux department so I'm approaching this with a very humble mindset.

I have the following OMV installed on a RockPro64: stretch-openmediavault-rockpro64-0.7.9-1067-armhf.img.xz

[see attachment]

and was able to get xfce4 installed successfully after doing some research into getting the correct package dependencies via this thread here.

I have created a user and have enabled the user home directory.

I have ensured that the user have read/write access for the home directory.

When I connect with the user account via Windows RDP (Session type Xorg as default), the user appears to authenticate but i just get a blue screen/blank desktop.

If I attempt to connect as root it appears that it authenticates correctly but the session is immediately terminated. No errors in either case!

If I attempt to connect via Xvnc session I get the following response:

I know there's a lot out there with very similar issues but I'm just not able to find anything quite like this. Any guidance would be most appreciated!
    [see attachment]

• Offizieller Beitrag

What version of xrdp did you install?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello!

@ryecoaaron

I simply ran:

sudo apt-get -t stretch-backports install xrdp

and verified:

sudo apt-cache policy xrdp

I believe it installed 0.9.8 and I can verify that here shortly if this sounds totally wrong.

Thanks!

Off-Grid Home Server Project:

ROCKPro64 4GB (Rockchip RK3399 Hexa-Core)

OMV 5.5.11 on Armbian Buster Server

SD boot | 128GB SSD Docker Storage | 2x 1TB SSD RAID1 Storage

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is the right version. I'm getting a different error trying to run it on my rockpro but it is due to my user. I will have to look at this later but I do see a lot of problems on arm boards with this (not just OMV).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• OK, let me know if you need me to provide any more info or if you need me to test replicating the behavior you are seeing.

FWIW earlier today before posting I was getting a d-bus error when logging in with root but i ended-up flashing a clean install of OMV and then doing the dependency update, recreating a new user, applying permissions and then installing xfce4 and then i didn't get any errors. I'm unable to replicate/recreate any errors with this 2nd install.

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was getting a d-bus error

That is what I was getting. Installing the dbus-x11 package fixed it and I was able to login. I probably need to add this as a plugin dependency. Does installing it fix it for you?

• I'm not quite sure what I did in the first install to invoke that error, but I'm not getting the dbus error now. That said i will attempt to install the package and get right back to you.
    Thanks!

• I installed the package via the following command but the behavior is still the same. I log in and get a blank desktop.

sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get install dbus-x11

One thing I am noticing, and this may be expected is that while Remote Desktop is listed under Services in the sidebar, it's not listed under the diagnostics tab. I then when back to the user settings and saw that the user home directory had been disabled [Would the dbus install do that?]. I re-enabled that and finally some joy...I've got a remote desktop! this is huge, now I can finally get to configuring things. Thanks so much!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would the dbus install do that?

Nope. The home directory being disabled does explain the other problem. Glad it is working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

4.0.1 is in the repo which adds the dbus-x11 dependency.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!