Very slow (to non) network connection Raspi 3b+

• Hello,
    (i am some sort of noob to all this, and installed mostly using youtubes :huh: )

I have just received my raspi3b+
    installed the lastest OMV 4
    and connected my ethernet cable and USB hard drive to the raspi.

Now when i add my shares in windows, i can browse perfectly through them, but from the moment i even try to open an 8MB jpg picture, my whole file-explorer stops working.
    Also when browsing through movies is no problem, but from the moment i open a movie, then my VLC keeps buffering until i get "VLC is not respronding"

somebody who can help me? my USB is NTFS formatted and connected with Samba.

also, i am mostly going to use this as a Plex server and when i load a movie it keeps buffering every 2-3 seconds of watching the film :(:(:(

• Offizieller Beitrag

1. Don't use NTFS. Try ext4. In my experience NTFS on Linux is slooooow.

2. Try tweaking SMB. Search for "tuning samba"on this forum.

3. Make sure you have a GbE network. Cables, switch and so on.

4. Consider using a SBC with full speed GbE and SATA or at least USB 3.

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• Try tweaking SMB. Search for "tuning samba"on this forum

Not on any of the ARM images, they ship with optimized settings.

@warchucky: the RPi 3 B+ unfortunately is a horribly bad choice for a NAS since broken by design for this use case. But what you experience is not normal even for this poor performing platform. So you would need to troubleshoot what's going wrong and that involves testing network individually (iperf/jperf.exe), testing storage individually, testing with LanTest and checking log files, especially /var/log/raspihealth.log.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!