Remote Desktop - xfce4 - is not running because of wrong permissions

• Hello,

yesterday I've installed xfce4 and wanted to connect to IP-Server:3389 but it's not working.
    Under syslog I found this error message:
    xrdp (some figures)[ERROR] Cannot read private key file /etc/xrdp/key.pem:Permission denied

under www I found the info that adding xrdp to the ssl-cert group will fix this issue.

Unfortunately I don't know how to add xrdp to this group.

How can I solve this issue?

My server is in the signature.

Thanks in advance

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

How can I solve this issue?

While that error is in syslog (I have it too and xrdp is working fine), that is not what is causing your problem of xrdp not working. Is the login screen coming up or is it not listening at all? No working isn't enough detail.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• No, I can't login. When I try to open IP-AdressServer:3389 I get the message that the browser can't connect.
    Should Remote Desktop show up under services (where the others like ASP, Docker, ftp,... are)? I don't have it under services

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should Remote Desktop show up under services (where the others like ASP, Docker, ftp,... are)? I don't have it under services

Nope.

What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep openm

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Here is the output:

Code
    root@OMV-HomeServer:~# dpkg -l | grep openm
    ii  openmediavault                      4.1.12                                   all          openmediavault - The open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-autoshutdown         4.0.4                                    all          OpenMediaVault AutoShutdown Plugin
    ii  openmediavault-docker-gui           4.0.1                                    all          OpenMediaVault plugin for Docker
    ii  openmediavault-keyring              1.0                                      all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive
    ii  openmediavault-omvextrasorg         4.1.11                                   all          OMV-Extras.org Package Repositories for OpenMediaVault
    ii  openmediavault-remotedesktop        4.0.1                                    all          Remote desktop plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii  openmediavault-remotemount          4.0.5                                    all          Remote mount plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    ii  openmediavault-virtualbox           4.1                                      all          VirtualBox plugin for OpenMediaVault.
    root@OMV-HomeServer:~#

Today I've made a brand new installation of OMV. Still no chance to connect to Remote Desktop

What does this mean unter "Remote Desktop":

Connecting user must have existing home directory.

I've created a shared folder and added the user to it:

But this didn't help

• Offizieller Beitrag

What does this mean unter "Remote Desktop":

If the user doesn't have a home directory, they won't be able to connect. The xrdp service will still be listening though.

The plugin is very simple. I have no idea why it isn't working on your system. What is the output of:

systemctl status xrdp.service
    systemctl status xrdp-sesman.service

• So, as I wrote, I've created a home directory for the user.

Here are the outputs of:

systemctl status xrdp.service

and of

systemctl status xrdp-sesman.service

I hope this can help you further

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure why I didn't think of this early but I'm guessing you don't have backports enabled. What is the output of: dpkg -l | grep xrdp

• @ryecoaaron

this is the output of dpkg -l | grep xrdp

Code
    root@OMV-HomeServer:~# dpkg -l | grep xrdp
    ii  xorgxrdp                            0.9.1-9+deb9u3                           amd64        Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) modules for X.org
    ii  xrdp                                0.9.8-2~bpo9+1                           amd64        Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) server

I have backports enabled. Just see here:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Those are the right versions. Not sure why it isn't working. Maybe purge the plugin and reinstall?

• Should I purge it via CLI or via OMV GUI? What is the better way to do it?

I‘m right now on vacation and can test it not before next Monday

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should I purge it via CLI or via OMV GUI? What is the better way to do it?

Either one should be ok.

• So, back from vacation I did it again. I removed remote-desktop via OMV GUI (but before I've updated everything to be on the latest level), rebooted the server and installed it again via GUI.

while installation I got these messages (I only started with the suspicious lines):

After installation I rebooted the server again and tried to connect via IP-Server:3389 and still the same error. No connection to IP-Server:3389 possible X(

Don't know why it's not working.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Don't know why it's not working.

Your startvm service (older init script?) looks like it is causing the problem.

• Your startvm service (older init script?) looks like it is causing the problem.

and how can I update it?
    I've installed OMV about 3 weeks ago. I always install latest Debian 9 netinstaller (because of manual partitioning the system drive) and OMV (v4) over it. Could this be the issue why it't not working?

• @ryecoaaron

I have to add something to my tread above (don't want to edit it, because it should not disappear).
    You wrote about "startvm"
    Could it be that I've made a startvm-script described here. I need this startvm otherwise my VM doesn't start

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could it be that I've made a startvm-script described

Yes. That script doesn't have init script headers. And there is still something going on with your system if the VMs don't start when set to automatic start in the phpvirtualbox (VM -> Settings -> General -> Basic -> Startup Mode = Automatic)

• Ok, I've removed the startvm-script, rebooted the server and installed remote-desktop again. No error while installation but also no connection to the RDP. Also no autostart of the VM (as it was before).
    Removed RDP and rebooted the server again. Still no VM running. I had to manual start it.

So I installed the startvm-script again, inserted a init-script-header, installed RDP. No error-message while installation but no access to RDP-GUI. VM started as usual.
    Even changing the port of the RDP didn't help. So I think that RDP is not working on my system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

lso no autostart of the VM (as it was before).
    Removed RDP and rebooted the server again. Still no VM running. I had to manual start it.

It is set to automatic in phpvirtualbox?

So I installed the startvm-script again, inserted a init-script-header, installed RDP. No error-message while installation but no access to RDP-GUI. VM started as usual.
    Even changing the port of the RDP didn't help. So I think that RDP is not working on my system.

If the systemctl status says they are running, I would like to see the output of: netstat -tulpn | grep 3389

• So, I installed my new Odroid HC1 with latest OMV v4 (via armbian) and also installed remote-desktop
    Here is the output of:

netstat -tulpn | grep 3389

Mainserver (see signature)

Code
    root@OMV-HomeServer:~# netstat -tulpn | grep 3389
    tcp6       0      0 :::3389                 :::*                    LISTEN      1262/xrdp           
    root@OMV-HomeServer:~#

and from the Odroid HC1

Code
    root@OdroidHC1:~# netstat -tulpn | grep 3389
    tcp6       0      0 :::3389                 :::*                    LISTEN      4482/xrdp           
    root@OdroidHC1:~#

and what is the result?
    On both machines (with different IP's) I don't have access to the GUI.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!