LUKS 3.0.3 Encryption Setup Issues/Advice

• Hello,

I'm very new to Linux and even newer to OMV so please go easy.

I recently brought a Terranas F4-220 and have added 2GB RAM, put a 120GB SSD in and removed the original USB boot drive to make way for OMV.

I managed to build and prep my headless install via VirtualBox and I am now up and running, however I have hit some issues on LUKS.

Desired outcome;
    2x 1.5TB Drives in RAID mirror utilising encryption
    2x 4TB Drives in RAID mirror standard (Plex media etc - currently synchronising)
    1x 120GB OS SSD (already going)

I followed some steps to WIPE the 2 1.5TB's in Disks under the OVM webgui, then proceeded to pick the first drive 'sda' and Create to make my first encryption setting the initial/primary key - great.
    The following advice I went to create a second additional key for everyday use (before I planned to backup the header) using 'Keys > Add' this generated the following error (passkeys removed)
    Unable to add the key to the encrypted device: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; /bin/bash -c 'echo -n 'MASTERKEY' | cryptsetup luksAddKey -q '/dev/sda' <(echo -n 'NEWKEY')' 2>&1' with exit code '127': sh: 1: pj5?Rc=M6 | cryptsetup luksAddKey -q /dev/sda <(echo -n NEWKEY): not found

I figured maybe because the drive was blocked - so unblocked and tried again - same.

So after a few failed attempts I decided no problem I will start again.
    The delete option wasn't available so I went to Disks and performed a wipe while the drive was unblocked - all looked good and the Encryption had gone.

Went to Create again and noticed the select device designation still holds what I believe to be encryption since the device is called /dev/mapper/sda-crypt and the decrypted device is called /dev/mapper/sda-crypt-crypt

Just wondered after searching for a while (forums and google) if someone can point be at the basic steps for creation/deletion/removal and get me back on track?

Appreciate any pointers
    Thanks
    Dan

P.S loving the look/feel of OMV - far superior to the crap TOS that shipped with the Terramaster!

• Hello again,

So I've established I cannot wipe the drive since the mapper still exists and it seems it just wipes a later area on the drive. Looking at 'sudo parted -l' I am able to see effectively nested LUKS MBR's?

Error: /dev/mapper/sda-crypt-crypt-crypt: unrecognised disk label
    Model: Linux device-mapper (crypt) (dm)
    Disk /dev/mapper/sda-crypt-crypt-crypt: 1500GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: unknown
    Disk Flags:

Error: /dev/mapper/sda-crypt-crypt: unrecognised disk label
    Disk /dev/mapper/sda-crypt-crypt: 1500GB
    Disk Flags:

Error: /dev/mapper/sda-crypt: unrecognised disk label
    Disk /dev/mapper/sda-crypt: 1500GB
    Disk Flags:

Can anyone point me at how to blank sda (remove all encryption) and start again?

Many thanks
    Dan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!