Transmission VPN with Nord VPN. Need some help please

• Hi all I just tried to install the Transmission VPN using my Nord VPN subscription but it's not working and can't find any info on how to check what's wrong.
    I followed @TechnoDadLife video but when I try to download the Ubuntu torrent I am getting "could not connect to tracker".
    Tried with a different tracker and didn't get this error but was stuck on "downloading" no data downloaded.
    In both situation after couple minutes when tried to reopen the web page couldn't acces it anymore.

I am also running an openVPN on my Asus router for remote acces....disabled that one and now I a getting "IP address change detected" and also after couple minutes can't acces the transmission anymore..... ?(?(?(

For now ( first setup)
    Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo
    Intel I7 960 quad core
    Asus AMD R5 230 video card
    10Gtek® Intel 82576 Chip Gigabit Ethernet Converged Network Adapter (NIC), Dual RJ45 Copper Ports, PCI Express 2.0 X 1
    12GB DDR3 @1600
    32GB SSD for OMV system
    2 x 3TB 3.5" HDD
    1 X 1TB 2.5" HDD
    Corsair case and Zetec 650W PSU

Runing latest versio ( stable )

• I am but.....think somewhere somehow I missed something or didn't understand properly.
    In the last 2 weeks I had to learn a lot about OMV , Linux , VPN , DDNS , Putty , Shellinabox , dockers .........and everything on top of my regular work.......and that's why I think somewhere I lost the track with all this new things. I didn't want to offend the forum members and I am aware about the fact that they are volunteers.
    Honestly I was looking for someone who can give me some advice and help me to understand what I am doing wrong. Tried to get on the iRC but I can't......
    Regarding the topic.....I didn't select any server because from the description I understand that the "app" will auto select the best server , and didn't see any option to add a specific server.....only the login details for the VPN provider. Also I installed the Nord VPN directly on the server via shellinabox so all the server traffic to be routed trough the Nord VPN and that worked( checked with Firefox on docker and I get the IP of the server selected) so it's something related to Transmission only.....In the meantime I deleted everything and reinstalled the OMV to make sure nothing will interfere with the Transmission VPN.
    But following your question "what server I choose" I have to double check all the informations and your video to see if I missed the step where I have to manually choose the VPN server.

For now ( first setup)
    Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo
    Intel I7 960 quad core
    10Gtek® Intel 82576 Chip Gigabit Ethernet Converged Network Adapter (NIC), Dual RJ45 Copper Ports, PCI Express 2.0 X 1
    12GB DDR3 @1600
    32GB SSD for OMV system
    2 x 3TB 3.5" HDD
    1 X 1TB 2.5" HDD

• If you already have NordVPN running on your server and all your traffic is going through it; just use the regular transmission docker without vpn. linuxserver/transmission You shouldn't need two vpns.

Nordvpn changed their server list, so right now if you use the vpn container you have to add the node.

Congrats on learning so much so quickly. You have just scratched the surface.

Where are you working?

• The problem with keeping NordVPN runing on server is that is slowing down the streaming from Emby. Up to 720p I am ok bit higher it will keep buffering. This is one of the reasons I was looking at Transmission VPN. The second reason is that I am trying to see if there is any alternative to have remote acces to the server and. From what I learned I can't have the server running on client mode( via NordVPN) and server mode( OpenVPN plugin on OMV) at the same time. Also having 2 Nic's I will like to try to see if I can route Transmission VPN via one of the Nic and rest of the traffic with Open VPN for remote acces and home network acces on the second Nic....maybe by using 2 users and having Transmission runing on one user with the specific UID and the rest on the second user with user 2 UID......not even sure if it's something what can be achieve but still looking for info.

Can you please let me know how I can add a specific server for Transmission VPN with Nord VPN or how to update the server database?

About my work.......just a HGV ( truck) driver in the UK. Right now working on nights , 12h shifts so not to much time to learn but the passion never sleep and I love to challenge my self and learn new things.

For now ( first setup)
    Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo
    Intel I7 960 quad core
    12GB DDR3 @1600
    32GB SSD for OMV system
    2 x 3TB 3.5" HDD
    1 X 1TB 2.5" HDD

• It sounds like you can do that, so your setup will look like this.
    1. Server - no nordvpn, so that you can connect to server with
    2. openvpn from other locations and run
    3. transmissionVPN in a docker. transmission-openvpn
    OPENVPN_CONFIG= us1113.nordvpn.comIt shows how to do this in the container explanation if you having trouble understanding.

You need to get things running in that order for it to work.

• Ok so I managed to install the Transmission VPN but now all my server traffic is directed trough VPN so no remote access. How can I route the Transmission only trough VPN and rest of the traffic trough my WAN?
    Do I have to use ip tables or is there any other option? I am not really confident on starting ip tables and still trying to understand how is working , what I need to change......
    On top of that I don't want to mess the configuration and get DNS leaks or the Transmission runing out of the VPN......
    Also thinking on install Nextcloud so I can have acces to my files remotely but don't think it will work if all my traffic is routed trough VPN.

For now ( first setup)
    Gygabite G1 Sniper mobo
    Intel I7 960 quad core
    12GB DDR3 @1600
    32GB SSD for OMV system
    2 x 3TB 3.5" HDD
    1 X 1TB 2.5" HDD

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!