OMV 4.1.12 on Odroid XU4 slow SMB speeds

• Hi everybody,

i just upgraded from a slow as fuck Raspberry 3 OMV build to an Odroid XU4 build. After i have configured almost everything i want to, i found out that my transfer speeds with samba are ridiculously slow. At first i thought it was a samba problem but i now think it has something to do with the ethernet. I couldn't really make out any other thread with the same issue. When i copy files between 2 USB 3.0 devices via ssh speeds are ~ 80MB/s, but when i try to copy files from my desktop pc to the OMV system via smb speeds are ~ 10MB/s. When i copy a file from the Odroid to my desktop the speed goes down to ~ 6MB/s. Even though the Odroid has gigabit ethernet i feel like the speeds are more what i would expect with 100mbit/s ethernet. I have to note that the odroid is connected via dlan, which on paper should be able to handle 1200mbit/s. I know that the actual rates are a little slower, but in no way they should be as slow as 100mbit/s. At the moment my issue is, that i don't really know how to progress with my troubleshooting.
    Has anybody with a similar setup experienced the same issue? Does anybody have any advice on what to do next?

Peace Larkin

• the odroid is connected via dlan, which on paper should be able to handle 1200mbit/s. I know that the actual rates are a little slower, but in no way they should be as slow as 100mbit/s

Why? These '1200 Mbits/sec' are the maximum, real world data transfers are magnitudes slower, see e.g. https://www.techradar.com/revi…n-1200-triple-starter-kit (they test 'best conditions' which will not necessarily describe your setup).

I would suggest doing both a ping test and running iperf between client and server to get an idea about quality/performance of this connection: https://iperf.fr/iperf-download.php#windows

The ping test is very important too since those so called 'round-trip times' are responsible for lower real world performance later...

• Thx for the advice. The dlan is the culprit. Once i hooked up the Odroid directly to the router my desktop is connected to the speeds were amazing. I then put it back to its old spot on the dlan and tried to use iperf yersterday, but i wasn't able to run it. I also don't have time to test it at the moment. The issue will have to wait until the weekend. The reason why i didn't expect the dlan to be the culprit is because i have a 3 way setup. So the modem is connected to the dlan, my desktop pc is connected to it in another room and the Odroid is in a third room. The download speed from the desktop to the internet is ~ 33000kbit/s, which is what it should be. Therefore my wrong conclusion was that every pc connected to the dlan would then be able to achieve at least the same speed. But i guess i was wrong. Maybe the dlan device is faulty or something like it. I gotta test some more here...
    Thx for your advice! I will post once i have new insights into what is actually going on.

• I know this post is more than six months old, but i am still fighting the same issue. I just upgraded my dlan from 1200mbit/s to 2000mbit/s and the manufacturers own software roughly shows an upgrade in speed of 80% between the same power sockets. But when i transfer a file using smb the transfer speeds are exactly the same if not even a little worse. I am stuck at ~ 10MB/s. Therefore i did what you suggested months ago and iperfd the whole thing. Surprisingly the data shows that the 1200mbit/s version is faster than the new one. I guess it could be because of the different way they transfer the data. They are also not compatible with one another. I am just really surprised that an "upgrade" actually makes things a little worse. I guess there is no other solution than to live with the slow speeds or to have some ethernet cable running through the whole flat.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!