OMV on RPI: Can't get started with storage (newbie)

• I downloaded OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus.img.xz and flashed a Raspberry Pi 3 (32GB microSD memory) with it. (Yes, I have seen the warnings about how the RPI is not an ideal SBC to run a NAS.) Gave the RPI a static IP address on my LAN and can reach it and log in via web interface and ssh.

But I can't see any storage to get started configuring a NAS.

Attempting to follow instructinos here:

Building an Open Media Vault NAS (Part 3- Configuring OMV)
    https://ridwankhan.com/buildin…figuring-omv-ee15322602be

First tried a USB-powered 2.5" disk (2GB), but couldn't understand what the web UI was showing under Disks or File Systems. Then read about power limitations of the RPI possibly being insufficient to power an outboard USB drive, so I abandoned the disk and tried a 128GB USB drive.

The flash drive is formatted to HFSplus so it's visible on my Mac. Wanted to reformat it to ext4 for use in the NAS. When plugged into the RPI, fdisk -l (via ssh) shows:

- /dev/mmcblk0 at 29.8 GiB (the microSD memory card);
    - 16 disks named /dev/ramXX at 4MiB each; and
    - 4 disks named /dev.zramX at 122.1 MiB each.

No sign of a 128GB USB.

The web UI shows this under Disks:

[ Note: the following two excerpts are unreadable because they cannot be made monospaced. Please see http://dawson.nu/misc/filesystems.txt for what they should look like. ]

--------
    Device Model Serial Number Vendor Capacity
    /dev/mmcblk0 n/a n/a n/a 29.81 GiB
    --------

(Click Scan & nothing changes.) Under File Systems:

--------
    Device(s) Label Filesystem Total Available Used Mounted Referenced Status
    /dev/disk/by-label/Media hfsplus n/a n/a n/a No No Missing
    idev/mmcblkOpl boot vfat 62.01 MiB 40.39 MiB 21.62 MiB Yes No Online
    fdevimmcblkOp2 ext4 7.15 GiB 5.80 GiB 1.24 GiB Yes Yes Online
    --------

The hfsplus volume can't be mounted; select it under File Systems and Mount stays dimmed.

So how do I even begin?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von kdawson () aus folgendem Grund: Provide link to monospaced version of OMV web UI output

• Offizieller Beitrag

First tried a USB-powered 2.5" disk (2GB), but couldn't understand what the web UI was showing under Disks or File Systems. Then read about power limitations of the RPI possibly being insufficient to power an outboard USB drive, so I abandoned the disk and tried a 128GB USB drive.

The 2.5 disk is probably due to the lack of power from the Pi's own power supply, there are 2 ways to effectively connect this; either use a powered usb hub or an external drive with it's own power supply.

Your 128GB usb drive should be visible under Storage>>>Disks simply select the drive and click wipe, this will erase the drive allowing you to create a new file system under Storage>>>File Systems click Create, select the drive and format it.

• Thanks for the replies, all.

@flmaxey, appreciate the link to the getting started guide.

@geaves, yes, I figured it was an RPI power issue with the hard disk. But the problem is that the 128GB is NOT visible under Storage >> Disks; just doesn't show up at all.

@tkaiser, I'll run the commands you suggest once I'm back inside the local LAN.

• Got past the initial blockage but behind it is another.

Rebooting with the USB stick plugged in did the trick. I can now see the device, identified as Cruzer Glide, under Storage > Disks. I can do a Wipe. Did that, then successfully added an ext4 file system.

After that things get squirrelly.

Trying to add a Shared Folder fails. The dialog comes up, but the drop-down to select Device does not work. It spins briefly (much less than a second) on "Loading" and comes up blank. The drop-down arrow is thereafter not live. If you leave the Device field it get outlined in red to indicate it's required. Nothing to do but Cancel. This behavior persists across reboot and is 100% reproducible.

• armbianmonitor -- dawson.nu/misc/armbianmonitor.txt

Raspberry Pi crappiness as usual:

Code
    480	[   10.391527] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
       481	[   22.871547] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)

Fortunately RPi-Trading guys started to add undervoltage messages now to dmesg output too so it can be spotted more easily.

You need to improve powering of your RPi or better replace the device with something that works.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!