Plugin remote-mount - Auto mount & reload shared folder after network failure

• Offizieller Beitrag

If i can try something to help yu

Sorry, I don't have a solution.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I have exactly the same probleme :( my shared folder on the remotemount is empty when reboot.
    didi someone find a solution, even if it is "dirty" like a command to launch after rebooting ?
    thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

my autofs method outside OMV still works fine...

So change the plugin to use autofs.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• the problem is not on the mount, remotemount plugin works fine, the problem is the sharefolder is empty. if i update the sharefolder (changin comment for exemple) with the web admin in sharedfolder menu, all is become good.
    does somedy know which command "links the sharedfolder to the remotemount" ? just to try to "re-launch" it

sorry for my poor english, i am french

• Offizieller Beitrag

Assume remote server R with share r. Local server L with share l.

So, are you saying that you, on L, mount r from R using remote mount and then from L share the remote mount r again as l? That is you share a shared folder?

I didn't think that was possible. You can't share a share again. Not using NFS at least. But I may be wrong? Is it possible with SMB/CIFS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

If it did work in OMV3, and sometimes works in OMV4, then I suspect that it is a bug.

It should not work. I believe it breaks the rules for a POSIX filesystem. And it might even cause problems and data loss. But perhaps SMB/CIFS is special?

I believe it is possible to do this but it involves things like rebinds/binds and redirections so that r is shared as r from L, and still directly accessed only from R. Not as l on L. And I never got it to work. It makes my head hurt even to think about it. Inception shared shares shared sharing.

I doubt that OMV by default do rebinds/binds to allow sharing a mounted share like this.

It would be VERY interesting if I am wrong. It would mean that I could restructure my setup so that all shares on all my OMV servers are shared again from one server. Perhaps using NFS caching on a SSD using fs-cache.

• i find the command
    just after the boot i have to launch

Code
    sudo systemctl start sharedfolders-JOSEPH.mount

and the shrefolder is well link to the remote mount.
    in syslog at boot, i found that

• I

i find the command
    just after the boot i have to launch

Code
    sudo systemctl start sharedfolders-JOSEPH.mount

and the sharefolder is well link to the remote mount.
    in syslog at boot, i found that

I have the exact same issue described by the OP.

I currently am using the remote-mount plugin to mount a network share on my router. I then make a shared folder based on this remote-mount and use rsnapshot to sync backups across it.

Occasionally, if the router reboots or there is some time of network interruption, the there will be a mounting error.

The only way I’ve found to recover from it is rebooting the OMV server. I run these rsnapshot backups nightly and I’ve had to setup a scheduled task to reboot the OMV server each night prior to backups. I’d really like to stop needing to fully reboot the server.

Is there any potential solutions for this?

• Nevermind, it appears this may have been fixed at some point recently?

Now it seems to auto reconnect the remote mount point when interruptions occur.

I'm not sure if it does this by default or of this is because I ran the following command like @neeqkowlah mentioned above.

sudo systemctl start sharedfolders-backup.mount

^The name of the shared folder obviously depends on what you named yours.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!