How I fixed Web Gui issue and DHCP issue on Rasp Pi with OVM 4

• Recently I purchased a Raspberry Pi 3 b+ to act as my home NAS. I ran into a repeatable set of errors when trying to set up. Namely, I could not connect to the Web GUI and I Couldn't log in with SSH. Hopefully the following will be of some use to other people going through the same issues. This was all done using a macbook pro

Required:

Raspberry Pi 3 b+ with 32 GB SD card
    Keyboard for Pi (connected wirelessly through USB attached dongle)
    Attached monitor (I used my TV with an HDMI cable) - you'll need to use this because ssh doesn't work initially.
    latest version of OVM4 for Pi 3 b+
    Etcher

Steps to Repair

Get image from https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/

Download and install Etcher

Use etcher on your mac or pc to burn the image onto the SD card

Connect Pi to network using ethernet cable.

Connect Pi to monitor/TV via HDMI

Connect keyboard to Pi

Insert the SD card into the Pi and boot. This can take quite a while. It may also reboot. Don't power off during this process!

After boot is complete, log in as root using CLI (Command Line Interface) using attached keyboard. SSH does not work at this point.

login: root
    password: openmediavault

You should be forced to change your password at this point. Record it, you'll need it from this point forward.

ping your router ie ping 192.168.xxx.xxx to make sure your network is functioning.

Enter the following:

• nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    • change PermitRootLogin to yes
    • Save and exit
    • systemctl restart sshd

Enter the following:

• xmlstarlet ed -L -u "/config/services/ssh/enable" -v "1" /etc/openmediavault/config.xml
    • xmlstarlet ed -L -u "/config/services/ssh/permitrootlogin" -v "1" /etc/openmediavault/config.xml
    • /usr/sbin/omv-mkconf ssh

your should now be able to log into your pi using ssh from another computer (or putty if you are using a pc/laptop)

ssh 192.168.xxx.xxx

login: root

password: YourNewPassword

Enter the following:

omv-firstaid

select option 1 and just hit enter for the options already selected.

Enter the following:

omv-firstaid

select option 2 and just hit enter for the options already selected

Enter the following:

shutdown -r now

Wait for pi to reboot then log in.

Login as root again

Enter the following:

apt upgrade

apt update

You should not be able to use a browser on another computer to access your pi via the Web Gui.

Open a browser on a computer connected to the same network as your pi.

Enter the IP address of your pi in the browser.

You should now see a blue screen with a login prompt.

Login details are:

Login: admin
    Password: openmediavault

Change your admin password immediately!

Everything should now be working.

I think I've got the order of this straight but I may have one or two things out of sequence. I wasn't documenting things as I tried to figure it out.

HTH!

• Offizieller Beitrag

While I advise against editing config.xml, you don't need to edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config once you edit config.xml and execute config.xml. It will rewrite the ssh config.

Why not just execute omv-update and omv-firstaid when you login as root? This will update the system and fix the web interface. Then you login to the web interface and enable root login. No need to do anything else.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Because DHCP doesn'y work at that point.

What does DHCP have to do with what I recommended? Everything is being done locally. And if dhcp doesn't work, there is something wrong with your network because it should work at all points. That is mandatory for the image to be setup correctly.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• My network is just fine. Everything else works without issue. The entire point of this exercise was to fix DHCP on OMV using a 3 b+. For what it's worth, I'm not the only one that had this issue. It is very rare but it has happened before for others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

My network is just fine. Everything else works without issue. The entire point of this exercise was to fix DHCP on OMV using a 3 b+. For what it's worth, I'm not the only one that had this issue. It is very rare but it has happened before for others.

I understand that but running omv-firstaid should allow you to fix the dhcp. My point was that you shouldn't need to edit config.xml or other config files. I mention network issues because I have tested (and created) RPi images hundreds of times and never had a dhcp issue.

• Understood. For whatever reason, mine seems to be a very unique issue. Only experienced by one or two others. It took a lot of trial and error, with the help of a couple of really helpful guys on this forum to get it up and running. You obviously know way more than me. I'm very new to the Pi/OMV world so I'm just learning. I'm sure you're right. Was just trying to share what worked in case anyone else came across this.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!