10GB Direct Connection?

• I recently got offered a pair of Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards and a 3 meter DAC cable. Being the geeky guy I am, I can't let them sit and have to find a way to put them to use. So, I thought I'd use them for a 10GB direct connection between my main NAS and my home workstation. The two are in the same room and the 3 meter cable would span the distance. My workstation runs Linux, which I assume would simplify the configuration?

I'd need to maintain the current Gigabit connection as well, since the household's other computers back-up to the NAS.

Are there any reasons that this wouldn't work with OMV? Or any serious complications? I know there's a lot of info on the Internet on how to configure the connection in linux, so I don't think I need help with that (yet). But, I but thought I'd as if there were any known issues doing it with OMV? Thanks!

And for the folks thinking, "Does he need this?" ...probably not, but I thought it would be fun to try. Plus, there really are times that the faster connection will help, as I occasionally need to move terabytes of data at time.

Thanks again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!