Data synchronization between file systems with OMV ?

• OMV 4.x
    • Data synchronization between file systems with OMV ?

Good afternoon, everyone,
      I have a question we currently have two locations. As far as I know it is possible to integrate several file systems into OMV. Now the question is: We have two locations file system A is at location A and file system B is at location B. Is there loadbalancing at OMV so that employees at location B can only access data from file system B?

The problem is that the following large data must be available at each location. Now I have considered to transfer the data from file system A to B once at 0 o'clock at night. Depending on the location, the employees should then be able to access the next possible file system to have the fastest connection.

Is such a thing possible with OMV if yes how would you realize it ? The connection between the locations is really very bad. That's why the synchronization between the locations is at 0 o'clock at night.

Thank you in advance for replying
    • Hi
      What types of "files"?

- We transfer actually big ZIP and ISO Files . The size is round abbout 2 GB per File.

How are the files updated?

- I am actually very new in the topic OMV. But i thing we would like to use rsync to update the Data between Location A and B

From where are the files updated?

- The files should be updated from Location A to B The Headlocation is A every day at 0 o clock should rsync work to synchronaize

How are the files accessed?

- I think FTP and Windows Explorer

How are the sites connected?

- That is the question. How i should do this ?

Why not just use a central cloud solution?,

- We don't like to share data with google or microsoft :D
    • I think you still need to elaborate more what setup you have... and where do you want to include OMV into this setup.

What are A and B. Are this Linux or Windows machines? What filesystem you've chosen for the storage. Wherer is the OMV box and what should it so. Do people at A work on the same data as employees at B? When you rsync from A to B that data proably would be overwritten.
      Usually accessability is done with permissions and not loadbalancing.

Why not use OMV and install a cloud solution there (like @Adoby suggested) that holds all the data? The cloud solution should be able to handle permissions.
    • @Stramm What did you exactly mean with cloud solution ? The problem is the connection between Location A and B OMV is hosted in Location A. Now there should be a file server at Location B which is integrated in OMV. All employees of A and B should be able to access data of A and B. But the problem is that the connection is very bad. The data should not be hosted externally but on internal servers.
    • With cloud solution I mean something like Nextcloud. Have a look at it and maybe it fits into your setup. You could host it external in a data center if theconnection is bad just between A and B.

A possibility is to have OMV in location A and create a nfs share here. That share is used by your A employees.
      Then you have a linux fileserver at B (another OMV box). Here you save data for your B people and at night you mount the nfs share from location A and let it sync your data. For that you would need to install a little tool on your B fileserver (FreeFileSync). You could automate this with cron.

Maybe someone else has a better idea...

Edit:
      The sysnc problem ist still not really solved with that solution (imagine both sides edit the same file in the same day... )