power supply, internPico PSU 120W (red)

18 €

power supply externSALCAR 12V [10A – 120W]

19 €

TOTAL without SSD / HDD

236 €

TOTAL with SSD / HDD

605 €

* WD MyBook – case opened -> WD80EZAZ inside (like WDRed8, 256 MB Cache) – works in NAS without SATA-PIN-Modification

Power consuption:

STATEWATTREMARKS
    IDLE #1~ 9-10 WOMV4 + SSD
    IDLE #2~ 19 WOMV4 + SSD + 2*3,5“HDD

Actual running dockers:

• Heimdall
    • Plex
    • JDownloader
    • Nextcloud + Onlyoffice
    • MariaDB
    • Letsencrypt
    • Openhab

Problem with HDD (RAID) - spindown / sleep :?: --> [SOLVED]
    I have all Systemdata / docker / config / clouddata and actual PLEX-Series on SSD.
    Plex-Auto-Libraryscan iss set to off!
    But my 3,5“ HDD’s won’t go to sleep. OMV hdd-power-management iss et to [1-minimal with spindown] after 30 minutes – but they don’t spindown.
    Any suggestions to solve this Problem?

[EDIT]
    webmin waked up my disks with own smart-monitoring parameters. --> disabled --> spindown works :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

WD My Book Desktop

You have to check how to spin down these. Spin down might be managed by the USB to sata bridge.

If you do not find anything you can try hd-idle. There is a thread in the forums aboug setting hd-idle up.

Or you take the 2 HDD from the enclosure and put them in your Inter-Tech case.

OMV hdd-power-management iss et to [1-minimal with spindown]

APM level 1 is very aggressive. Even with 127 I had rapidly increasing load cycle count. That was the reason for me to change to hd-idle. But my HDD are connected via sata to the main board.

• * WD MyBook – case opened -> WD80EZAZ inside (like WDRed8, 256 MB Cache) – works in NAS without SATA-PIN-Modification

This note, especially the mention of the pin-mod, makes it look to me like you already removed the disks from the My Book housings and put them into the case as internal SATA disks? If this is so, you may wish to verify a couple things:

1. Do you have SMART enabled, and if so what is the timing and priority? If its set to run a self test in less than 30 minute intervals, or if its set to run even if the rive is at idle, then your drives either won't spin down, or won't stay spun down, because the test generates activity and restarts the inactivity "clock".

2. I tested some of my Reds a while back (a mixture of 2 & 3TB) and found they only spun down on APM of 127 with delay of 20 or 30 minutes depending on firmware level. In fact, some drives would only work on one delay or the other, but not both. I never got APM 1 to work on any of them. I can't speak for 8TB, but you may wish to try some different APM & Delay combinations.

• Tahanks for your answers...

Zitat von macom

Or you take the 2 HDD from the enclosure and put them in your Inter-Tech case.

i did! - it is HDD-SATA, without USB-controller.

Yesterday i tried APM1 and APM 127, 30 Mins. Systemstats and SMART = off - semms like it did'nt work - have to try again on the weekend

Zitat von macom

If you do not find anything you can try hd-idle.

thank you, i will have a look!

• Yesterday i tried APM1 and APM 127, 30 Mins. Systemstats and SMART = off - semms like it did'nt work - have to try again on the weekend

You mention that the drives are raid 1. Do you have a file system on them yet? I've found with my WD drives that spindown never worked till they were formatted with a file system.

• @DiNO, sorry can you tell me how can install OVM or debian with ovm package?
    I'm try and try but don't install.
    i've tha same board and 4GB kyngston mem. 30 GB ssd, for now and installation.
    My goal is to add 2 or 3 hd red

• @DiNO, sorry can you tell me how can install OVM or debian with ovm package?

google for omv debian netinstall or follow This Tutorial, Section "Für reine UEFI Systeme"

SPINDOWN RAID

i tried to spindown my Raid with OMV settings. APM 1 and 127 aren't working.

when i try to set the parameters manual, following This Guide "RAID 5 in standby" it works.

i tried (sdb and sdc are my 2 RAID HDD's):

Code
    hdparm -S 60 /dev/sd[bc]

an after 5 Minutes: it's working...but only if i set it by this command, not by using OMV settings ...

my OMV-Setting (checked file)

the guide says:

Bash: hdparm_guide
    /dev/sd[bc] {
            mult_sect_io = 16
            write_cache = off
            spindown_time = 180
    }
  • besides the usb ports, what else possibility do we have to connect a ssd (or 2.5" hdd) to this motherboard (asrock j4105 or j5005) if we have all 4 sata ports occupied with hdd's ?

Can we use a PCIe 2.0 x1 riser adapter to sata or to m.2 ssd to boot omv from here ?

because * The M.2 socket does not support SATA M.2 SSDs (this port is for wifi+bt only)

• Can we use a PCIe 2.0 x1 riser adapter to sata to boot omv from here ?

No since you mix SATA with PCIe. You have the following opportunities:

• overthink your drive strategy. Less drives, less hassles
    • good USB3 thumb drive connected to an USB2 port with flashmemory plugin enabled (buy two and do offline backups from time to time since that's the best you can do)
    • Buy an el cheapo PCIe card with an ASM1061 on it providing one mSATA and an additional SATA slot, boot from a mSATA SSD then
    • Buy an inexpensive PCIe to M.2 adapter to use with an NVMe SSD (not recommended unless you're somewhat familiar with Linux and boot troubles. NVMe SSD performance will be destroyed by Gen2 x1 anyway but usually you need no performance on your boot drive at all
  • thanks for reply
    so only 2 good solution we have :
    1. USB3 OMV thumb drive connected to usb 2 or usb 3 port's (flashmemory plugin enabled)
    2. PCIe x1 card with an ASM1061 adapter to sata or msata

PS: motherboard know to boot from option 2 (pcie) ?

• I am having the same issues.

Where are you setting the spin down now, so that it works?

Regards,
    Hendrik

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!