MergerFS folders not mounted in /sharedfolders

• Hi everyone,

After a reboot OMV4 fails to mount the directories from my mergerfs pool into the /sharedfolders directory. The directories from my regular, non-pooled disk mount there fine. If I create a shared folder from the web UI after boot everything gets mounted as it should. My theory is that it's because FUSE is mounted after the sharedfolders-[].mount scripts run, but I'm pretty new to all this. Here are what I think are relevant log snippets, in chronological order. These are during startup:

This is the MergerFS pool being mounted:

Code
    Nov 29 00:17:30 nounvault systemd[1]: Mounted /srv/8a57fc99-ce30-48a4-9ed2-7588e0c9d9f6.

This is a folder from that pool failing to mount slightly later:

Code
    Nov 29 00:17:30 nounvault systemd[1]: sharedfolders-Media.mount: Starting requested but asserts failed.

Nov 29 00:17:30 nounvault systemd[1]: Assertion failed for Mount shared folder Media to /sharedfolders/Media.

Here is FUSE mounting a bit later still:

Code
    Nov 29 00:17:30 nounvault systemd[1]: Mounting FUSE Control File System...

Nov 29 00:17:30 nounvault systemd[1]: Mounted FUSE Control File System.

I've searched the forum a lot but I haven't found a fix. Thanks for any help!

I'm using the latest OMV4 on an ASUS P55 motherboard.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In a couple systems I saw, if the directory is removed (ie /sharedfolders/Media), the systemd mount will fail. Adding the directory back should fix the problem.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I should mention there are 4 shared folders from the pool and they all fail to mount. How would I test to see if i.e. /sharedfolders/Media is missing? Should I unmount the mergerfs pool (in this case called 'Primary') and check to see that /sharedfolders has all the same directories in it?

Edit: There are 4 directories in /sharedfolders corresponding to the 4 shared folders from the pool right after restarting the system, and they are empty.

• I use mergerfs but not with the OMV plugin, it's too coarse for my needs. I do the mounts myself in /etc/fstab OUTSIDE the # >>> [openmediavault] # <<< [openmediavault] section.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I spent quite a while on systemd - and I finished by modifying fstab because the same "after=" clause put in the systemd ".mount" files generated automaticaly by openmediavault has no effect, and on the contrary, works when put in fstab, like that :
    /srv/UnionFSfolder/ShareName /sharedfolders/ShareName none x-systemd.after=srv-dev\x2ddisk\x2dby\x2dlabel\x2dsde\x2dZAD66MV5.mount,bind,nofail 0 0

"x-systemd.after=" tells "/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-fstab-generator", which translates fstab to systemd ".mount" files at boot time, to mount after "x2dZAD66MV5.mount", which is the last disk of my array, has been mounted, so I am sure the UnionFS is set.

You can find the target ".mount" file name ("srv-dev\x2ddisk\x2dby\x2dlabel\x2dsde\x2dZAD66MV5.mount" in my example - set it to your disk) in "/run/systemd/generator".

Of course, I renamed the "sharedfolders-*.mount" files in "/etc/systemd/system" so that they are not taken into account at boot time.

• I encountered this issue as well. Another way to solve it with systemd would be to make a wait service.

First make the wait script

Bash: /usr/bin/wait-for-mergerfs
    #!/bin/bash
    #/usr/bin/wait-for-mergerfs
    for i in {1..5}; do
      if [[ -e "/srv/e7f4be7f-ade2-4e06-a819-58883b226cc3/media" ]]; then
        exit 0
      fi
      sleep 1
    done

Create the wait service

Create override for the necessary mounts

Bash
    systemctl edit sharedfolders-media.mount

Place the following in the file

Code
    [Unit]
    Requires=mergerfs-wait-online.servie
    After=mergerfs-wait-online.service

This solution has the benefit of not needing to edit fstab or openmedia config

• I too have the same issue. I had rebuild my server and copied all my data back over. After a reboot, /sharedfolders/folder shows no files.

Only difference between yesterday and today is that my drives are now EXT4 instead of BTRFS.

OMV 4.x running under ESX with SAS drives passed through

• Offizieller Beitrag

I too have the same issue. I had rebuild my server and copied all my data back over. After a reboot, /sharedfolders/folder shows no files.

Only difference between yesterday and today is that my drives are now EXT4 instead of BTRFS.

Instead of looking under /sharedfolders for your files... look under /srv. You should see your UUID's for your disk, and you should see one created for your merged system... This is where your data is.. it's not gone.

• Exactly what does this mean?

I was changing to larger drives so decided to rebuild another OMV system. Once complete I copied my data to the new system.

Instead of looking under /sharedfolders for your files... look under /srv. You should see your UUID's for your disk, and you should see one created for your merged system... This is where your data is.. it's not gone.

Yes I have already mapped (where I had mappings to /sharedfolders) to /srv

It's just that the files under /sharedfolders before. Just not sure what has changed.

Cheers,
    James

• Copying data does not populate OMV's internal configuration. You have to actually recreate the shares in the OMV GUI. Did you do that?

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Copying data does not populate OMV's internal configuration. You have to actually recreate the shares in the OMV GUI. Did you do that?

I was helping someone else w/ this issue last week. I'm assuming this is some sort of bug w/ mergers.. When you create a share on the merged filesystem.... the share will initially show up in the /sharedfolders folder, like every other share created in the webUI. After a restart, the shared folder disappears, but will still be in the shared folders section of OMV. Where this confused the person I was helping, was Plex. He had moved 2-3 small files into /sharedfolders/Movies.. scanned everything, and it was fine. Moved the rest of his data over and after a reboot.. Plex no longer saw his files because /sharedfolders/Movies did not exist any longer. Since the OMV smb.conf maps directly to the /srv folder he could still see them over SMB/CIFS.. which furthered his confusion.

Eventually, we just mapped Plex directly to his data under the /srv directory and that solved the problem.

• Copying data does not populate OMV's internal configuration. You have to actually recreate the shares in the OMV GUI. Did you do that?

Sorry yes I should have been clearer. The data is all good. No issues there at all. I used rysnc to copy between servers etc (after creating the shares).

Eventually, we just mapped Plex directly to his data under the /srv directory and that solved the problem.

Exactly what I have done now. I did have it mapped to /sharedfolders on the previous build without any issues.

Cheers,
    James

• Eventually, we just mapped Plex directly to his data under the /srv directory and that solved the problem.

This is why I never use sharedfolders as the directory targets in program configurations. I always use the actual raw filesystem paths.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is why I never use sharedfolders as the directory targets in program configurations. I always use the actual raw filesystem paths.

and I understand that and don't disagree.. but 90% of the tutorials (that I've seen) out there tell people to point at /sharedfolders... so it's an issue or new users.

• @hurricanehrndz, I just tried your solution.
    It works for me now! but I did not see at once that I had to add my sharedfolders mounts behind the "Before=" (and I will have to do so each time I'll add a share in OMV...). I also changed "for i in {1..5};" to "for i in {1..300};", just in case. I don't care if my boot is slow.

FYI I have another service based bon the same principle that do uncrypt my disks, retrieving the key with a ftp from another machine on the LAN, and that was this service that was causing late mergerfs mounting...

Thank you!

I have two remarks for whoever reads this:
    - I have Docker and Virtualbox installed - and they start before the sharefolders are mounted. to delay their start as much as possible, I added them to the before= list of the mergerfs wait service...
    - Also, I saw that nfs.service starts very early, just after network.target local-fs.target. What happens if the share is on snapraid? - btw I didn't check for CIFS.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!