Need advice about imaging boot drive with CloneZilla [More Details Inside]

• Background information

I am wanting to upgrade my open media vault install and think that I would be best to do a fresh install.

I am slightly worried that something could go wrong or won’t be compatible with my system. As a precaution, so that if anything does go wrong I can roll back to my current set up, I plan on cloning my boot drive with CloneZilla.

I have been learning how to use CloneZilla and have found this video very useful - (I am linking the video so others can also use it as a learning resource).

I now have a bootable USB drive that contains CloneZilla and understand that I want to create a disk image.

My Question

• Do I plug in the bootable usb drive in to my OpenMediaVault machine, attach a screen, keyboard, mouse and external drive and do the drive clone that way?

• Or should I be connecting to my open media vault machine and making the image over the network to from a remote machine?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do I plug in the bootable usb drive in to my OpenMediaVault machine, attach a screen, keyboard, mouse and external drive and do the drive clone that way?

This is the best way to go unless you can take the OS drive out of your OMV system and put it in a system booted to clonezilla.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• This is the best way to go unless you can take the OS drive out of your OMV system and put it in a system booted to clonezilla.

I am able to attached a a screen, keyboard, mouse and external drive, that isn't an issue.

One more thing

• For the external drive that I back up the image to - Will it erase the whole drive? Or does CloneZilla, just place the image on the drive with out destroying what is already on there?

Thanks for your help with this.

I am looking forward to making the upgrade to the latest system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

For the external drive that I back up the image to - Will it erase the whole drive? Or does CloneZilla, just place the image on the drive with out destroying what is already on there?

If you choose the device-to-image option, Clonezilla backs up to files. If you choose device-to-device, it will overwrite the drive.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you choose the device-to-image option, Clonezilla backs up to files. If you choose device-to-device, it will overwrite the drive.

I will try to image the drive in the next week or so and then will try to report back in this thread if I have been successful.

Thank you for your help, seems like a simple process now I now what I am doing :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!