Replace HDD, cant Delete old Filesystem, cant create Filesystem on new HDD

• Hey Guys,
    i replaced a HDD. If i try to create a Filesystem on the "new" HDD its not possible, also its not possible to delete the Filesystem from the "old" HDD, or unmount the HDD.
    Delete the "old" sharedfolder give me an error message.

I did the same replace before, and it was no problem to delete the old sharedfolder and filesystem.

Maybe one of you got a hint for me.

From the Syslog:
    Dec 7 17:09:52 omv systemd[1]: Unmounting Mount shared folder Backup to /sharedfolders/Backup...
    Dec 7 17:09:52 omv systemd[1]: sharedfolders-Backup.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=32
    Dec 7 17:09:52 omv systemd[1]: Failed unmounting Mount shared folder Backup to /sharedfolders/Backup.
    Dec 7 17:10:17 omv monit[680]: 'mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-label-Backup' status failed (1) -- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Backup is not a mountpoint
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Backup.device: Job dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Backup.device/start timed out.
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: Timed out waiting for device dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Backup.device.
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: Dependency failed for /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Backup.
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: srv-dev\x2ddisk\x2dby\x2dlabel\x2dBackup.mount: Job srv-dev\x2ddisk\x2dby\x2dlabel\x2dBackup.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: Dependency failed for File System Check on /dev/disk/by-label/Backup.
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Backup.service: Job systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Backup.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Backup.device: Job dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-Backup.device/start failed with result 'timeout'.
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: Starting Enable File System Quotas...
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv quotaon[5697]: quotaon: Kann /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Home/aquota.group auf /dev/sdc1 [/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Home] nicht finden
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv quotaon[5697]: quotaon: Kann /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Home/aquota.user auf /dev/sdc1 [/srv/dev-disk-by-label-Home] nicht finden
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: quotaon.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: Failed to start Enable File System Quotas.
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: quotaon.service: Unit entered failed state.
    Dec 7 17:10:30 omv systemd[1]: quotaon.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Dec 7 17:10:48 omv monit[680]: 'mountpoint_srv_dev-disk-by-label-Backup' status failed (1) -- /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Backup is not a mountpoint

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yeah, remember how you configured it?

1. Wipe the hard drive.
    2. Create a file system
    3. Mount the drive.
    4. Create a shared folder
    5. Use SMB to put the shared folder on the network.
    (And other services you may have added.)

Now, in reverse order, you'll need to deconfigure it:

5. Delete all SMB shares attached to the drive. (And other services you may have added.)
    4. Delete all shared folders attached to the drive.
    3. (When the above all other things you configured are removed:) Unmount the drive.
    2. Delete the drive.
    1. Wipe the drive (if you want to reuse it.)

This is logical. Otherwise, all of that work could be inadvertently ruined, with a single mouse click (such as Delete a drive).

To add a new drive, start at the top with "Wipe".

• Delete the sharedfolder doesnt work. Same Error Message. So i tried a different way.

So I wiped the new drive and give it the same name as the old drive, in this case Backup.
    The Filesystem is now clear, and there is only the two installed drives.

To get rid of the sharedfolder, i delete it, but didnt apply. Then restart and then apply the changes. Now its gone.

Thanks for your tip!

• Offizieller Beitrag

For future reference, there's a plugin call "Reset Perms". When added, it will proved an extra tab (Shared Folder in Use) as shown below.
    It can be used to determine if any service is attached to a shared folder. (That's why this plugin is useful. Configuring a server is a sot of evolution, that may over years. The minor details may be forgotten.)

Once all references to shared folders are deleted, this page is clear, and the hard drive will unmount.

• This Plugin is already in use, and it showed me, in use by: config/system/shares/sharedfolder. Like the path in your picture.
    But i dont understand how to delete this. Just reset all permissions wont help, and i dont find the path /config/system....

My Linux knowledge isnt good enough so far.

In the future i will use the way you told before. And dont put a new hdd in, before "reinstall" the old one.

On the other hand is fun to learn something about the whole system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, in the first line of the example, to eliminate the line (and association) it would be necessary to delete the shared folder Backups_R. (In my setup the "_R" means "remote". This is a remote mount shared folder.)

In the last line, Documents:
    It would be necessary to delete the associated SMB share AND the shared folder.

Since you're new to this, for basic tasks, you might find the User Guide (in my signature below) useful.
    It's a work in progress. Additional content is coming soon.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!