how do u ping a hdd so it can be removed and i know which one to unplug

• i have a supermicro 3u case with hot swappable hdd bays and i would like to know if is is possible to ping a hdd in omv so i can know which one to unplug and replaced, etc, thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have a sas controller, management software for the controller might do it (if you mean blink the drive light).

In OMV, under storage Physical Disks, you'll find the HD model number and serial number, matched to the device name /dev/sd?. Drive model and serial details are usually printed on the drive label which, in hot swap bays, usually face up. Since you have hot swappable bays, finding a specific drive shouldn't be hard to do but it would probably best done powered down.

If you're in a production environment, I'd consider doing HD serial # labels.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the controller is integrated into the Mobo, I'd look for downloads on the Gigbyte site. Otherwise, if it's a card controller, I'd check to the maker of the controller for management software. I had an Adaptec controller that would "blink the light" but being able to blink the light from the controller's BIOS has nearly no value.

You could do a small reference file or spreadsheet on a client as well. (These are practical suggestions because I suspect that you may not find what you're looking for.)

If you have an integrated controller - LSI SAS2008 based controllers are common. Here's an "equilvalent" controllers page where you might find something for that works on the the Linux command line, to support your controller.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!