• Hi, i'm running OMV on my rock64 (2gb) variant, with the propper psu, a 16gb microsd class 10.

I currently use it as a Nas & a plex media server, but it keeps crashing every other day, and that is without using it as a plex server,
    I have a rpi running Kodi and it reads from the rock64 through samba, when playing a media file it is not under load but crashes for some reason.

Would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, attached the syslog below

Thank you

also have a 4tb hdd connected through the usb3 port

• I am not sure how much of the syslog file was needed, it was large and i could not pase all of it, the site just frooze for me, I hope this will help.

and the images show the aprox load and what docket images running

• Sadly that doesn't really provide any useful info, you can try enabling persistent journaling here, which is what I did when trying to diagnose my reboots, but it doesn't tell me what brought down my system either, mine is a clean reboot that seems to happen randomly though, not a crash. I have a feeling it's the watchdog service, which I just disabled.

Try upgrading your kernel or other packages, the newest kernel for OMV is 4.18. You also may just simply be overloading it, it is an ARM chip after all.

• Another place to look is the power supply and the sd card. The most common problems on the pi for random stuff are an old or slow or corrupt sd card and a power supply that is gong bad. As brando stated above, it could be that you are over loading your Rock64.

Anyone with a ROCK64 who can answer this question?

• Sadly that doesn't really provide any useful info, you can try enabling persistent journaling here, which is what I did when trying to diagnose my reboots, but it doesn't tell me what brought down my system either, mine is a clean reboot that seems to happen randomly though, not a crash. I have a feeling it's the watchdog service, which I just disabled.

Try upgrading your kernel or other packages, the newest kernel for OMV is 4.18. You also may just simply be overloading it, it is an ARM chip after all.

what do you mean by overload? all i really need is a "samba server" to run, would there be a better option or a more lightweight option other than the open media vault?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Trying another SD card is a good idea. Preferably a A1 card.

Make sure that you use a short high quality USB cable to the HDD. Switching to a better cable might be a quick, simple and easy way to fix the problems. Or at least reduce them.

Another thing to try is to use a powered hdd. That significantly reduce the power needed by the SBC. A high load means increased current and that means a bigger voltage drop in the power cable and possibly even more in the USB cable. That may cause a crash.

Just guesses.

• currently i am using a normal hdd with an external enclosure and a psu for it and the original usb3 cable that came with it, when i looked at the sd card it was some random brand, but what is the "a1"? and how does it relate to "class 1 - 10"?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Class 10 is about how fast the card is when writing/reading sequentially. That is nice for video recording/playing. But for use as a storage for computer filesystem, or apps in a phone, random writing/reading speed is also important. Perhaps more important. The A1 standard (A=Application) means that the card has at least a decent random writing/reading speed. There is also a A2 standard, but those cards are seldom fully supported by the hardware. A SanDisk Ultra A1 card is not a lot more expensive than a high quality fast "normal" card. I use the 32 GB SanDisk Ultra A1. They are just under $10. SanDisk Extreme A1 is more durable and faster but also more expensive.

A demo here:

• Externer Inhalt youtube.com
      Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
      Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
  • what do you mean by overload?

You can't 'overload' a Linux system. And you can't run a Linux reliably on insufficient hardware.

The usual problems with SBC are hardware and/or settings related. The two most favorite problems are underpowering and SD card hassles and then sometimes images run with silly defaults (like overclocked DRAM for no reason).

Since you're using an ARM image providing the output from armbianmonitor -u might help.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!