Plex issues

• Hello, first of all - I'm totally new in this linux/OMV/NAS world, but I like it so far.

I have managed to create my own NAS with OMV running on it. I followed a guide that showed how to set up Plex media server with OMV-Extra's. Not through "Docker" which I don't know what is, but I saw another guide setting it up that way.

Well, when I want to play a movie it says: "Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install".

I downloaded the log files, but which file/content do I need to provide to you guys before you are able to help me out?

There is also some other things that I'm struggeling with, but this is the most important for me. Maybe I will ask about them if we managed to solve the first one.

Thanks for your time and I wish you all a merry christmas :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I followed a guide that showed how to set up Plex media server with OMV-Extra's. Not through "Docker" which I don't know what is, but I saw another guide setting it up that way.

The plugin is going away. Please use the docker. This video should make it easy to get it installed - Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, when I want to play a movie it says: "Conversion failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install".

You should use Docker as suggested, but that error is related to what you are using to play the movie and the movies file format or Plex is not doing a transcode.

Most movies will play with no issues using either VLC or Kodi.

• Thanks for your answers. I will try to install it through Docker. :thumbup:

...that error is related to what you are using to play the movie and the movies file format or Plex is not doing a transcode.

Does that mean that I somehow can get Plex to "transcode" it? Or are you saying that I need to use VLC or Kodi. I'm running the plex media player on my PS4 and the movie is a .mkv file? Isn't that pretty standard these days? :huh: I don't know other ways to connect to a media server on my PS4 / philips tv.

• Thanks for your answers. I will try to install it through Docker. :thumbup:

Does that mean that I somehow can get Plex to "transcode" it? Or are you saying that I need to use VLC or Kodi. I'm running the plex media player on my PS4 and the movie is a .mkv file? Isn't that pretty standard these days? :huh: I don't know other ways to connect to a media server on my PS4 / philips tv.

The number one problem with Plex, regardless of how it is installed involves improper permissions and ownership of the directory that Plex uses for metadata storage. That folder must located on a drive that is mounted exec and it must be readable, writable, and executable by the user that Plex runs as.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• I've installed plex in Docker now and when I'm starting a movie it keeps "loading" the movie, it seems, nothing happens. If i click on the screen it stops loading and exits the movie and a message pop up:

Playback Error
    Conversion failed. The transcoder exited due to an error.

What to do?

• I've installed plex in Docker now and when I'm starting a movie it keeps "loading" the movie, it seems, nothing happens. If i click on the screen it stops loading and exits the movie and a message pop up:

Playback Error
    Conversion failed. The transcoder exited due to an error.

What to do?

If my problem is the same as this, which it probably is:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/playb…ed-due-to-an-error/298773

How do I add permissions for the "plex" user?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!