Various problems getting started with Odroid HC (best practice)

• Ok. I will wait - can I somehow check, if it does work? Or just wait and hope? Will the scenario be aborted, if I login via webinterface or any other way?

Can't sit the hole time close to the HC2 to doublecheck it ;)

EDIT: green and red LED are permanently on. blue LED is doing heartbeat blinking.

The post was edited 1 time, last by budpad ().

• I actually don't think that the kernel was automatically updated during the install.

I ran a "normal" update directly after the install and then it was updated. Together with a lot of other stuff.

And I didn't get any errors popping up. Might be some in the logs...

I'll do a new install on a HC2 tonight, I'll look especially for what kernel is running after the initial install (and after a reboot, for good meaasure).
      OMV 4, 7 x ODROID HC2, 1 x ODROID HC1, 3 x 12TB, 2 x 8TB, 1 x 4TB, 1 x 2TB SSHD, 1 x 500GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • tkaiser wrote:

If this results in busybox getting installed when cryptsetup gets installed by the plugin and this fixes the issue... sure!
      I guess it probably wouldn't hurt to make it a dependency for all architectures.
      omv 4.1.19 arrakis | 64 bit | 4.15 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 4.1.15
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • Adoby wrote:

Yes. Before I did any installs or configurations.
      But all of this should happen automagically on first boot and I would be really interested whether it still works that way or not (so if you test again please also report whether this happens or not)

Edit: remembered wrong. Automatic updates at first boot only on RPi image.

The post was edited 1 time, last by tkaiser ().

• tkaiser wrote:

budpad wrote:

So best and easiest way is to simply install busybox via apt install busybox and that's it?
      Please try it out and report back.
      Everything went quite well. Before installing LUKS I started "apt install busybox".

Only issues I got from the install-log of LUKS:
      cryptsetup: WARNING: failed to detect canonical device of /dev/mmcblk1p2
      cryptsetup: WARNING: could not determine root device from /etc/fstab
      W: mdadm: /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf defines no arrays.
    • New

My hdd has write caching enabled by default. I think that is true for most NAS hdds.

Check what this command says:

dmesg | grep "Write cache"

For me with a Seagate Ironwolf it says:

[ 34.555732] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
      OMV 4, 7 x ODROID HC2, 1 x ODROID HC1, 3 x 12TB, 2 x 8TB, 1 x 4TB, 1 x 2TB SSHD, 1 x 500GB SSD, GbE, WiFi mesh
    • New

Oh no!!! The Physical disk properties. The HORROR! OMV use hdparm to "send" settings to the HDD. But it seems that some HDDs are not compatible with hdparm. WD RED and Seagate Ironwolf for instance. At least in HC2.

Changing ANY settings under Physical disk properties may cause a small reality decoupling propagating out from the HDD, at close to the speed of light, followed by extremely strange and unlikely drive behavior (=failures) combined with a rapid induced mental breakdown among all HC2 sysadmins in the vicinity. Only a slight exaggeration. I have experienced this first hand, and I have barely recovered. This is documented in several threads here. You have been warned!

If you have a HC2 with WD RED or a Seagate Ironwolf, don't change ANYTHING under Physical disk properties. There is no need.

These NAS HDDs already have good default settings for NAS use since they are NAS HDDs. Change spin-down by reflashing the USB-SATA bridge.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Adoby ().

• New

Another tip: I have discovered a path to happy and content co-existence with HDDs, HC2 and OMV!

The path is the path of doing as little as possible. Not trying to figure out all the things possible to do or fiddle with. But instead trying to figure out how little I can get away with and still get all of the functionality I desire and deserve.

I'm still just a small worm on this path to enlightenment, but I already feel that I have benefited greatly since I started on this, for me, new path. My sleep has improved, my twitching is much better and the stuttering is almost gone. I'm still working on the nail biting and the hair loss.

I cheat a bit by having an extra HC2 to experiment with.