Various problems getting started with Odroid HC (best practice)

• Hello everybody!

I'm having hard times getting my two new hc2's up and running. I'm using the official power supply a WD 4TB Red Drive and a WD 2 TB Green Drive. I got new Sandisk Ultra A1 32GB micro SD cards and I'm using etcher for writing/validating.

In all it should be really straight forward like:

Till here everything works as expected but then things get a little weird. I gave already a couple of fresh starts (on booth devices with clean sd cards and clean hd) and can reproduce these steps:

Directly after booting and letting the unattended upgrades rooling as well as doing some little settings (web ui timeout, password, hostename, ssh -> didn't touch the hard drive settings!)

I get these error messages doing a

Zitat

apt update

I think it's nothing really bad (just not nice to look at after a fresh install..)

But when I'm doing a

Zitat

apt upgrade

When I'm running the upgrades within ssh I get a screen saying openmediavault is installed and I need torun openmediavault-init...
    When I'm using the openmediavault web ui for upgrades it does it without asking anything

At this point I should have a clean, fresh and up to date version of OMV 4 installed.

And here it starts. When I install my plugins (backup, rsnapshot, usb-backup, luks)

it ends with following errors

openmediavault is kind of working but it has a unreliable web ui and the file system tab is missing.

I reproduced this at least five times the last days and can say that it's always ending like this - no matter using the web ui or doing things over ssh. For me it looks there is something broken - but I don't know what ?(

Happy Halloween! :evil:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you installed omv-extras?
    And tried to install the plugins from the GUI?

BTW: the kyle1117 ppa is an artefact from cloudshell and can be removed (or ignored). Same for double entry warnings. You can either edit the sources list or just ignore them.

• Have you installed omv-extras?

It's already activated in the omv4 armbian based images:

Zitat von macom

And tried to install the plugins from the GUI?

Both GUI and command line, couple of times on two different odroid hc's with two different sd cards and two different hard disks.
    When installing from the GUI it's just throwing unlimited ----- ERROR ---- messages in the end. When I installed via CLI I get the following bit more precise errors:

update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.14.69-odroidxu4 with 1.
    dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Zitat von macom

BTW: the kyle1117 ppa is an artefact from cloudshell and can be removed (or ignored). Same for double entry warnings. You can either edit the sources list or just ignore them.

Good to know. What is the cleanest way to remove the ppa? For the double entries I can just delete the second list under: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list I guess?

Found it, just do a simple:

Code
    rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault-kernel-backports.list
    rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kyle1117-ubuntu-ppa-cosmic.list

And you are good!

The only error message still exists now with apt update is this (well known) one:

Weird thing is that the file system tab is missing after the somehow failed installation of the plugins:

This is kind of an old bug and already fixed by @votdev problem I read in another thread...

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von troublem4keR () aus folgendem Grund: The message is tooooooo long, must be under 10,000 characters.

• For debugging propose here is a armbianmonitor - u

Full output: http://ix.io/1wLE

Maybe @tkaiser or someone else has an idea what's going on? 8|

• Interesting. Now I made a apt update and got one.

Code
    apt list --upgradable
    Listing... Done
    openmediavault/arrakis,arrakis 4.1.16-2 all [upgradable from: 4.1.16-1]

And this is what happens doing the apt upgrade (second part is the end with the error message)

My whole system is broken, isn't it? ;(

And doing the same in the gui gives this output:

Just now I saw "E: busybox or busybox-static, version 1:1.22.0-17~ or later, is required but not installed"

So I just did a "apt install busybox" and the output is the following:

No idea what's going on! For me this should be kind of a clean install but there is so many weird things... I did setup a couple of omv server but never experienced something like that ?(

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know what is going on.

But the absolute first step is to make certain that the initial install worked. If it didn't you get weird errors.

You MUST be connected to the internet while installing. And the root filesystem should afterwards be expanded.

SSH in and run: lsblk

/ should be 7.3G. If not then the installation never finished.

• Thank's for the tip. Both ordroid's HC's were connected to internet while the setup and got plenty of time.

Also the filesystem size looks good:

Code
    ### lsblk:

NAME        FSTYPE       SIZE MOUNTPOINT
    sda                      1.8T            
    └─sda1      crypto_LUKS  1.8T            
    mmcblk1                 29.7G            
    ├─mmcblk1p1 ext4          64M /boot      
    ├─mmcblk1p2 btrfs        7.3G /          
    └─mmcblk1p3               22G
  • Hi,

also having Error issues while updating install. Here you can find the log.

Using a HC2 with 32GB SSD (Sandisk) and a WD Red 4TB

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    1 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
    Setting up initramfs-tools (0.130) ...
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.130) ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.14.94-odroidxu4
    E: busybox or busybox-static, version 1:1.22.0-17~ or later, is required but not installed
    update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-4.14.94-odroidxu4 with 1.
    dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    initramfs-tools

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda 8:0 0 3.7T 0 disk
    └─sda-crypt 254:0 0 3.7T 0 crypt /srv/dev-disk-by-label-WDRED4
    mmcblk1 179:0 0 29.7G 0 disk
    ├─mmcblk1p1 179:1 0 64M 0 part /boot
    ├─mmcblk1p2 179:2 0 7.3G 0 part /
    └─mmcblk1p3 179:3 0 22G 0 part
    zram0 252:0 0 124.8M 0 disk [SWAP]
    zram1 252:1 0 124.8M 0 disk [SWAP]
    zram2 252:2 0 124.8M 0 disk [SWAP]
    zram3 252:3 0 124.8M 0 disk [SWAP]
    zram4 252:4 0 124.8M 0 disk [SWAP]
    zram5 252:5 0 124.8M 0 disk [SWAP]
    zram6 252:6 0 124.8M 0 disk [SWAP]
    zram7 252:7 0 124.8M 0 disk [SWAP]

• Yes. It's a fresh install.

I will give it a new try. Luckily it's only a testing device, so I will reinstall it again.

Already checked the SD with H2Testw and after that I used the SD Card Formatter (like described).

• Again those issues. So sad - only errors at the beginning.

Also the error with "kyle1117" stuff.

Also the FTP checkbox showed a green sign. (FTP was not activated).
    EDIT: Apple Filling the same. Checkbox green even if not enabled.

I had to enable/disable FTP - now it is ok and works like it should.

So - again a new install? How could that be? And what about the "busybox" - must I install it by myself, what does busybox stand for?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von budpad () aus folgendem Grund: Apple Filling comment

• It's coming when generally updating, or (recently) when installing the LUKS Plugin.

Maybe it's because of a cronjob running in the background?

The LUKS plugin made some error's too. Couldn't activate it with a password - had to restart OMV. After that it's working.

Hopefully the plugin is running ok now? I need an encrypted HDD.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von budpad () aus folgendem Grund: some corrections

• Offizieller Beitrag

Make sure you get a fully updated, clean and error free install BEFORE you start configuring stuff.

And preferably that you back it up as you go, so that you always can revert to an earlier perfect working root filesystem in case of further problems.

As I see it there are three possibilities:

Your SD card is bad.
    The install don't complete due to a bad internet connection.
    The install image has errors.

I start to suspect that there are problems with the install image. Otherwise a reinstall would most likely have given different errors. :/

I"ll download and do a fresh install and see if I get the same problems.

• So you get the busybox error on a fresh install when updating?

Just like @troublem4keR reported at the start of this thread. When updating an Armbian kernel package initramfs-cleanup will be called and here the error messages seems to originate (no idea why).

BTW: If anyone wants those annoying http://ppa.launchpad.net/kyle1117/ppa/ related messages to disappear you need to get in contact with Hardkernel. I did it the last time when problems occurred and they fixed the stuff within 2 days but I won't waste my time further on this manufacturer.

• Hi,
    thx for your Feedback. Already tried another SD Card.

Will try to download the image again and restart.

• Just like @troublem4keR reported at the start of this thread. When updating an Armbian kernel package initramfs-cleanup will be called and here the error messages seems to originate (no idea why).
    ... I won't waste my time further on this manufacturer.

Thx. Will try it again.

So you don't like the HC2 anymore? Thought it is a good device to use it with OMV?

Is there any other (better) advice for hardware? Don't need big specs - but good running hardware. Or did I just misunderstood you?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!