OMV3 then OMV4 on dedicated NAS

• Hi guys,

Second attempt at building a NAS under OMV3. The 1st attempt was successful but I wanted to change to a USB system disk. In the previous configuration the OMV OS was on a SSD of 120GB and I was not satisfied with this loss of drive space. Furthermore, the management of USB keys as system drives is now straightforward and tackled for.

My current (12/2018) configuration is the following:

- NAS case: fractal design node 304
    http://www.fractal-design.com/…ode-series/node-304-black
    - motherboard : ASRock QC5000-ITX/PH, fanless, AMD FT3 Kabini A4-5000 Quad-Core APU (4 x 1.5GHz) with 4GB of RAM
    https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/QC5000-ITXPH/
    - power supply unit : LDLC QS-460 FLP Quality Select 80PLUS Platinum, fanless
    - storage : 1 HDD of 1TB, 1 HDD of 3TB (WD Red NAS), 1SSD of 120 GB (Kingston SSDNow V300)
    - usb stick : SanDisk Ultra Fit 16 GB

Hence the NAS is designed to be quiet.

OMV version: 3.0.99 (Erasmus)

It is planned to double the storage capacity with the same HDD models (actually I'll move to the NAS the two additionnal ones that are currently seating in my Windows PC). The NAS will provide file sharing and mini-DLNA support for streaming multimedia data on TV, phones and tablets.

Best Regards

• Not sure why you are running OMV 3. It is deprecated and no longer supported.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks for your reply.

I used to run OMV3 previously and OMV4 is quite new. Honestly I thought version 4 was in development and not released with all the needed plugins supported. I have no preference either. I'm running into issues while setting now the network parameters (see the post in the network section of the forum).

If it helps simplifying issues and the updating process is easy (no need to plug a keyboard and a monitor to the NAS unit) I'm eager to switch to the new version.

Adarmis

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von adarmis () aus folgendem Grund: link to post in the network section

• It seems that there are issues with my HDD (WD red ones).I've just tried to install OMV4 and I ran into troubles:
    "Missing" RAID filesystem
    Hence I'm reverting to OMV3 on the SDD drive (the USB stick seems to cause troubles as well).

I've got five of those WD Reds in mine. But I do not use RAID. They have been in my machine for more than three years with OMV 2, 3, and now 4.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hence I'm puzzled.

Tonight I've tried:

- to install OMV4 on my USB stick, it failed with nadm issues.
    - to insall OMV4 on my disks, it failed as well, disks were not mount-able (indeed I've also made quick swips and it changed nothing). RAID was not defined (disks are not stacked or mirrored, was a complete swip needed ?)

What should have I done to make it work ?

• Hence I'm puzzled.

Tonight I've tried:

- to install OMV4 on my USB stick, it failed with mdma issues.

What do you mean by this?

On my machine it will display more than a dozen bootscreen messages about not finding an array, but it will eventually boot normally. This weirdness appeared with OMV 4, OMV 2 & 3 never showed this.

Unless the disks were previously associated with some RAID or a filesystem other than ext4, an OMV 4 from scratch install should just work.

Installing to a USB flash drive can be temperamental depending on what the source media type is.

--

• Sorry I've corrected my previous message it is nadm issues.

I'll try once again with OMV4, I'm using disks previously used in OMV3 and OMV4 what do I need to do ? Do I need to format them ? Does wiping completely (not a quick swip)will allow to mount them ?

• I don't know what nadm is.

If you need to keep the data that is on those disks you can't wipe them unless you have previously backed the data up somewhere else. This is something I have never had to do, and if an OS install required me to wipe existing ext4 data disks in order to use them I wouldn't be installing that OS.

I would try installing OMV 4 without any of the old data drives connected and get past that step. Then shutdown, connect the drives and boot up. It should just see the drives and mount them automatically.

--

• Sorry I've corrected my previous message it is nadm issues.

Could the error message be "mdadm"? I see you have a USB stick in your system configuration. If you are using it for your OS, I know that some fresh installs of OMV 4 fail when installing from a USB device to a USB device. This is apparently a Debian installer thing, and not an error with OMV. I have see in my case, the error is an "mdadm" error for "missing array", even though the systems I've installed on had no RAID array.

I know that sometimes, as @gderf mentions, you'll get a series of errors and eventually the system boots normally. But, I've experienced myself that some configurations that it won't boot at all.

One thing to try (and has worked for me), is as noted above: reinstall OMV 4 with all the data disks disconnected and only the installation USB and your USB drive for the operating system inserted. But, after the install is done, remove the installation USB AND leave the other disks disconnected during the first reboot. Boot with just the OS USB flash drive inserted.

When the GRUB menu displays, there will be a message at the bottom of the screen stating, among other things, to hit the "e" key, to interrupt the boot sequence and allow you to edit boot parameters. Hit the "e" key and the edit screen will come up.

From the editing screen look for the line for "linux", which will probably indicate the boot drive as /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 or similar, rather than a long UUID string (which is preferred). If the listed drive isn't "sda" (or sda1 or similar drive ID), change it to "sda", or "sda1" etc. and continue the boot process (the F10 key does that I believe). If it does list a UUID, then you probably have a different error all together.

If your system does finish booting, you can then log in through the Web UI, and apply the updates available in the "Update Management" tab. One (or more) the the updates will trigger an update to the grub configuration and that update should also permanently fix the issue from the installation. Once the updates are complete, you can shutdown, connect your data disks, and try booting again.

Details on this issue (if it is this issue in your case) and information on how to fix it manually with manual edits to the configuration files, are in this Forum string: mdadm-no-arrays-found-in-config-file-or-automatically. But, since some time has passed and there's now an update to OMV (or the underlying Debian) that happens to fix the issue automatically (at least for me) through the Web UI, I've found that easier.

• @Markess that was exactly my situation and your mehtod of solving the problem should work.
    @gderf thanks for your comments

I finally managed to install OMV4 with my WD drives but with the system on the SSD drive. It is finally safer as I will not bother with USB stick failures in the future. Furthermore the price for SSDs is getting low and it is nearly nowadays as cheap as usb sticks.

The only issue I had was to set Samba shares visible under Windows 10. I followed this guide and issues were solved. I installed mini-DLNA as well (part of OMV-extras). I'm in the process now of setting the bitTorrent plugin.

So here is an update on my system:

My current (12/2018) configuration is the following (some corrections):

- NAS case: fractal design core 500
    https://www.fractal-design.com…ases/core-series/core-500
    - motherboard : ASRock QC5000-ITX/PH, fanless, AMD FT3 Kabini A4-5000 Quad-Core APU (4 x 1.5GHz) with 4GB of RAM
    asrock.com/MB/AMD/QC5000-ITXPH/
    - storage : 1 HDD of 1TB, 1 HDD of 3TB (WD Red NAS), 1SSD of 120 GB (Kingston SSDNow V300, system disk)

OMV version: 4.1.16.2 (Arrakis)

• updates (additionnal rack for HDDs/SDDs)

- NAS case: fractal design core 500
    https://www.fractal-design.com…ases/core-series/core-500
    asrock.com/MB/AMD/QC5000-ITXPH/
    - storage : 1 HDD of 1TB, 1 HDD of 3TB (WD Red NAS), 1SSD of 120 GB (Kingston SSDNow V300, system disk)

ICY DOCK Flex-Fit Trio MB343SP 3.5" to 5.25" Front Bay Adapter

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

(A small hardaware update for installing 1 HDD 3.5" + 2 SDDs)
    As the fractal design core 500 is not fitted for 4 HDDs + 2 SDDs, the NAS can go now to 4 HDDs + 3SDDs

OMV version: 4.1.16.2 (Arrakis)
    mini-DLNA
    bitTorrent

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!