can a virtualbox run inside a virtualbox ?

• Is it possible to run a virtual machine (debian 64bit) with openmediavault and install extras (virtualbox), and then from there, install a windows xp, 10 ... etc.

My PC has the following settings:

1. Intel i7 (4 cores / 32GMB RAM) with BIOS Virtualization ==> Enable
    2. Install Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit as host operating system
    3. Install Virtualbox windows version
    4. create a vm and install openmediavault download from this site
    5. inside openmediavault, install extras virtualbox package
    6. enable virtualbox package

everything goes well to step 6.

7. upload a windows_xp.iso
    8. use phpvirtualbox web ui to create a vm and install windows xp. I finished all windows xp installation steps from VNC GUI, but after first reboot, I cannot start this windows xp and keep seeing windows xp VM memory dump (blue screen) really fast and switch back to boot from windows black white screen to ask me to make choose after every 30 seconds.

I even disable all semi-virtualization from system => speedup selection items, / disable network / disable audio / disable usb / disable com port , but still get the same result.

does anyone have this experience of what I have done?
    The reason why i do nest installation is trying to create a VM w/openmediavault that can hold more vm inside it body and can move anywhere within one .vdi file.

Any idea ?

?(

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is not an OMV support issue/question. While it's possible (to run a VM in a VM), it's not advisable and there are known issues.

If you're curious about running Virtualbox, within Virtualbox, the Virtualbox forum might have something of interest to you.

• Actually, finally, I did it and it works fine, but while switching host from dhcp to static ip, vm can no longer be connected via realvpc, even switch back to dhcp. the state seems broken forever. I have installed a Win Enterprise 7, an Ubuntu VMs. That really working fine.

The only question here left is ip switch somehow broken vm state, and cause remote desktop connect is dead.

• Offizieller Beitrag

RE VM's in VM's.
    When I mentioned "known issues" networking problems are at the top of the list. For a VM to work, hardware must be abstracted and there must be support to allow it.

When it comes to dealing with multiple network addresses and other details, part of how NIC hardware abstraction is done is with sub-interfaces. As is easy to imagine, there's a number of variables involved that simply can't be taken into account. Accordingly, VM's in VM's are a "at your risk" endeavour.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!