Beginner OMV, want to migrate from windows to OMV

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Beginner OMV, want to migrate from windows to OMV

      Hi,

      My plex server is running on win10 x64, in mirrored raid (using storage spaces), Plex + Jacket+Sonarr+Radarr+Tautulli+Deluge installed, also auto extract and autodelete downloaded content in download folder

      I would like some information if possible about moving from windows to OMV,
      is there any way to auto extract archived content ?
      is there any way to copy files from OMV to a external HDD,
      is there any way to auto delete leftovers from downloaded content ?
      and how does the raid mirror work in OMV is real time ?
      can i import plex+sonarr+radarr+tautulli settings from windows to OMV ?

      so far searching on youtube i see that you can install Jackett+ Sonarr+Radarr+Plex
      "If voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it" - Mark Twain
    • My personal advice is just do it, install virtual box on your windows, make a virtual machine and install OMV from the iso, update, install docker gui, and from there you can experiment yourself.

      - who is doing the auto extract on your windows ? because I know that Deluge has an autoextract feature forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?t=54277
      - what do you mean copy files to an external HDD? you can always mount an external HDD, and you will need a file manager to be able to movie files around, my favourite one is filebrowser very easy to use just mount the folders in docker container and you are done nice and easy.
      - probably you can auto delete need to research this myself
      - have no idea how raid works sorry, maybe other user might help you on this one, my advice search on the forums and check the manual openmediavault.readthedocs.io/…keywords=yes&area=default
      - not sure if you can import settings but you may try, are they docker containers ?

      I personally use Jackett + Sonarr + Radarr + Plex + Deluge you can install Tautulli that is for sure, check this topic Installation and Setup Videos - Beginning, Intermediate and Advanced

      OMV is very simple and fast and has low minimal requirements compared to other nas os, for me I use it as a remote media server, and it works like a charm.
      Theme changer tool: Unofficial OMV Theme Changer tool, css themes and UI manipulation
      Theme changer plugin: OMV-Theme plugin, theme changer and UI customisation

      omv-theme repo: github.com/virgil-av/omv-theme
      openmediavault-theme repo: github.com/virgil-av/openmediavault-theme

      If you appreciate what i do just smash that like
    • @syrusstk

      on windows i use extract now (low resource) or (file juggler) since deluge plugin is not working, and for cleaning up download folder (inside folder) windows has a build in cleaning system)

      regarding copy to a external HDD, i mean i want to plug my External HDD in OMV and be able to copy from one device to another, so what i would like is just to plug in my HDD and be able to see available files and folder on that HDD
      "If voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it" - Mark Twain

      The post was edited 1 time, last by Sseven ().

    • On you OMV install docker GUI see this video on how to do it:




      Than you can choose your own file manager, my personal preference is filebrowser or for example another file manager




      the reason I chose filebrowser is because it is simple to use, simple to mount folders or entire hdd and it looks like any other cloud client which makes it familiar.

      Configure your network to point to another port than 80 as omv by default is using 80

      and than in the volumes and bind just mount folders from your host machine into your docker container filebrowser will pick it up

      so for example under /srv you have all mounted HDD on your server so you can mount

      host path /srv to container path /whatever_floats_your_boat

      And that way you have access to any HDD you plug in your server, very simple and you can configure this in less than 30 seconds, after that just navigate to your ip:port and do your thing









      Below are the folder in my /srv on host


      Theme changer tool: Unofficial OMV Theme Changer tool, css themes and UI manipulation
      Theme changer plugin: OMV-Theme plugin, theme changer and UI customisation

      omv-theme repo: github.com/virgil-av/omv-theme
      openmediavault-theme repo: github.com/virgil-av/openmediavault-theme

      If you appreciate what i do just smash that like
    • Sseven wrote:

      @syrusstk

      on windows i use extract now (low resource) or (file juggler) since deluge plugin is not working, and for cleaning up download folder (inside folder) windows has a build in cleaning system)

      regarding copy to a external HDD, i mean i want to plug my External HDD in OMV and be able to copy from one device to another, so what i would like is just to plug in my HDD and be able to see available files and folder on that HDD
      I've never personally used it (I just use rsync)... but there is a USB Backup plugin that I believe is designed to do exactly what you're saying.

      You'll also see most here recommend ditching Raid 1, and moving to some automatic rsync jobs (I personally have been doing this for about 4yrs and consider it WAY better than Raid 1).
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

    • @syrusstk thank you for the information provided, i will try that

      what i have to find now before i make the move on openmediavault is to find a way to extract compresed files, upon download

      regarding krusader, that one deleted all my content on a 1 TB HDD :(

      i wish to be a tutorial with explanations on how i can install docker containers, i am still confused about where all that information need to be filled, i know that are videos on how to available, but i cant relay all the time on this king of information
      "If voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it" - Mark Twain
    • KM0201 wrote:

      Sseven wrote:

      @syrusstk

      on windows i use extract now (low resource) or (file juggler) since deluge plugin is not working, and for cleaning up download folder (inside folder) windows has a build in cleaning system)

      regarding copy to a external HDD, i mean i want to plug my External HDD in OMV and be able to copy from one device to another, so what i would like is just to plug in my HDD and be able to see available files and folder on that HDD
      I've never personally used it (I just use rsync)... but there is a USB Backup plugin that I believe is designed to do exactly what you're saying.
      You'll also see most here recommend ditching Raid 1, and moving to some automatic rsync jobs (I personally have been doing this for about 4yrs and consider it WAY better than Raid 1).
      Regarding ditching Raid 1, what you describe using rsync is copy the files from 1 HDD to another HDD, correct me if i am wrong ? how that will work against a HDD failure >
      "If voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it" - Mark Twain
    • Sseven wrote:

      KM0201 wrote:

      Sseven wrote:

      @syrusstk

      on windows i use extract now (low resource) or (file juggler) since deluge plugin is not working, and for cleaning up download folder (inside folder) windows has a build in cleaning system)

      regarding copy to a external HDD, i mean i want to plug my External HDD in OMV and be able to copy from one device to another, so what i would like is just to plug in my HDD and be able to see available files and folder on that HDD
      I've never personally used it (I just use rsync)... but there is a USB Backup plugin that I believe is designed to do exactly what you're saying.You'll also see most here recommend ditching Raid 1, and moving to some automatic rsync jobs (I personally have been doing this for about 4yrs and consider it WAY better than Raid 1).
      Regarding ditching Raid 1, what you describe using rsync is copy the files from 1 HDD to another HDD, correct me if i am wrong ? how that will work against a HDD failure >
      In the event of a hard drive failure, put in a new drive, run rsync, when it's done, you'll have two copies again.
      Air Conditioners are a lot like PC's... They work great until you open Windows.

    • Well you need first to make a bit of a separation, you are used with windows wich is good and bad at the same time, when on linux is more cli and is hard when you are used to click on everything.

      Main os is Debian
      GUI is OMV
      Docker run virtual machines

      Now the reason people use docker is because you can spin app all kinds of apps without damaging their server os, and also easy to upgrade apps.

      The thing you need to learn is a bit of docker.

      Now people make a bit confusion, I still do it, between docker and docker compose. When you see yaml files that is docker compose.

      The docker plug-in is just docker you need to install compose yourself, not really needed, I never used it.

      Now you have two options to understand where things go in docker gui you either read the manual of docker and understand what is what, the real problem is not that, the problem is the lack of description on some docker images.

      But most of them give you the full command you know like:


      Source Code

      1. docker create \
      2. --cap-add=NET_ADMIN \
      3. --name=letsencrypt \
      4. -v <path to data>:/config \
      5. -e PGID=<gid> -e PUID=<uid> \
      6. -e EMAIL=<email> \
      7. -e URL=<url> \
      8. -e SUBDOMAINS=<subdomains> \
      9. -e VALIDATION=<method> \
      10. -p 80:80 -p 443:443 \
      11. -e TZ=<timezone> \
      12. linuxserver/letsencrypt
      Display All
      If you copy paste this in you terminal this will build a container with those configs.

      Or in the GUI

      All -e are in the parameter table, all -p is about network, -v is mounts and bind, --cap-add goes to extra parameters --name is.about the name field, and linuxserver/letsencrypt is the image used for creating the container.

      Mounts and bind is basically host folders that the container can use to edit, delete, move or save configuration.

      This is pretty much the basics of it, probably explained on the forum somewhere.

      As my senior developer used to say rtfm and it makes sense :)).


      Also google is your friend here is what I found after a quick search:

      dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Plugins/Execute

      forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47243
      Theme changer tool: Unofficial OMV Theme Changer tool, css themes and UI manipulation
      Theme changer plugin: OMV-Theme plugin, theme changer and UI customisation

      omv-theme repo: github.com/virgil-av/omv-theme
      openmediavault-theme repo: github.com/virgil-av/openmediavault-theme

      If you appreciate what i do just smash that like
    • @KM0201

      so i did play like half a day with Rsync, my thought are that sometime is working sometime not, the good thing i saw is that i can use a standard windows HDD without the need of making linux format ( i would like to know what you recommend)

      the test i've done were to sync from main drive to a backup drive with the option to delete the file on backup if are not available on the main drive.

      my concern is that if main drive will fail and i put a new blank drive that will also delete all information on the entire backup drive, unless i do that manually by creating a new rsync job, i would like your opinion about this please
      "If voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it" - Mark Twain
    • Sseven wrote:

      my concern is that if main drive will fail and i put a new blank drive that will also delete all information on the entire backup drive, unless i do that manually by creating a new rsync job, i would like your opinion about this please
      First, if the source doesn't exist (a source drive failure), an Rsync copy doesn't start.
      Second, if a drive fails, the work flow changes. When constructing the Rsync job, you have to keep in mind which drive is the source and which drive is the destination. There's no backup program or app that can make that decision for you.
      __________________________________________________________________________________

      If you're worried about losing files, just don't turn the "delete files" switch on (delete files in the destination that don't exist in the source).
      There's two benefits to leaving this switch off; you'll get delete protection in the destination which is solid protection from a source disk that's failing slowly and may be dropping files and folders in the process. (Not to mention saving your data if you get the source and destination wrong.)
      With extraneous and unwanted files building up in the destination, you could do house keeping from time to time by turning the delete switch on and running a manual job. Along similar lines, when setting up a new second or "destination" drive, if the delete switch is off until two full drive copies are verified, there's no risk.

      While RAID1 is touted as protection from a failed hard drive, that's just not the case. One drive would have to fail near instantly, in a fairly narrow set of circumstances, for RAID1 to protect data on the 2nd drive. Otherwise, data corruption is instantly replicated to the 2nd drive. Rsync, on the other hand, can provide real data protection in the form of mirrored backup, with the option of delete protection.
      __________________________________________________________________________

      File formats? I'd run what's native to OS in use. Just at EXT4 doesn't make sense on a Windows PC, NTFS doesn't make sense in OMV. (If going outside of this general rule of thumb, one must have enough knowledge of file system AND the OS being used to understand the potential issues.)

      The post was edited 1 time, last by crashtest: edit ().