Pulling my hair out trying to connect to SMB shares on a Mac

• Hi I'm new to OMV and have set up my server with 4 drives in SnapRAID and with unionfs for the 3 data drives

I want to use SMB for a shared Win/Mac network and also AFS is being depreciated. But I can't get even get AFS working anyway.

When I connect as a user through the Finder sidebar - I get error "The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “foo” can’t be found." After I connect to the server via IP in Connect to server area (command K) and try to mount a share I get "You do not have permission to access this server".

Nothing I do seems to change this at all. I'm running El cap and Mojave computers that both have this issue.

It did briefly work when I had one share in guest only mode but I can't even get that working again.

Things i've tried:

• Recreating user accounts
    • Putting user under admin and adm group
    • Resetting permissions
    • Modifying ACL for user read/write and also tried with user group
    • Assigning a user as share owner in ACL
    • Created shares that are guests allowed
    • And shares that are guests only
    • Connecting to the server via the IP (command K)
    • Connecting to the server through finder
    • Setting SMB min protocol to SMB2 and max to SM3 via extra options
    • Tried turning on AFS and also using only AFS, can't seem to connect via AFS either.
    • Checked that browsable is turned on.
    • Offizieller Beitrag

While leaving what you have configured as it is:

Try building a test shared folder and putting it on the network with SMB/CIF, as it is described in this guide starting on page 46. You can name it what you like, but use the permissions and SMB settings as described in the guide. (Put nothing in extra options)

If it works and you can access it from Windows or the Mac, then we'll look closer at permissions.

• Thankyou flmaxey. after following the guide, on trying to open the new share in Windows I am told I do not have permission to access the share. On Mac I get the good old original item can't be found error.

EDIT: Contemplating a clean install

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have to be frank and note that I'm concerned about the shear number of configuration items you've set and that there may be changed items that are not listed. Also that some of the above have not been undone which may alter the baseline.)

If you set any "global" options in SMB/CIF, Settings Tab, in Extra options; for testing purposes please remove them.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm going to assume that users you've created have not been removed the Linux standard "users" group.
    (Being added to this group is a default, when a user is created.)
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

- I'm also going to assume that your usernames and passwords, in OMV, exactly match the usernames and passwords that you're using to login to your Windows PC and Mac (Caps and all). Is this correct?

- Have you tested the Windows PC and the Mac with their firewalls temporarily down.

- What version of Windows are you running? (Full disclosure - I don't have a Mac so I can't help much there.)

In the new share try this in extra options to see if it will give you access to the new share.
    write list = @users

Also, in SMB's settings, the parameters "Extended Attributes" and "Store DOS attributes" should be on (green).

• Thanks so much for your help flmaxey. I discovered after wiping all of my disks that there was something impacting the permissions on the unionfs pool and now it is working as expected on both platforms with both guest and user accounts.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!