ZFS BTRFS recommendation

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTRFS and ZFS are both "better" filesystems than EXT4. More features and more security features. Snapshots, checksums and so on. (EXT4 may be slightly faster, raw speed.)

But if you don't know exactly how to use these advanced features efficiently, you are likely to get lower performance and lose data, possibly without even knowing why or when. They are better, but also more complicated. And OMV doesn't provide any tools to "tame" them. You need to use the commandline and read log files and so on.

So you have to look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself if you are willing to learn? And whatever you do, learn, train and test BEFORE you risk your data.

I haven't bothered. I just make sure that I have good verified backups. In several generations and at several locations.

• BTRFS and ZFS are both "better" filesystems than EXT4.

In my opinion they are not better, at least because they want to my attention.

I don`t want to spend evenings in researching or fixing something, I need working version, just install => setup => that`s it.

If something in my NAS needs my attention - it will be replaced or removed.

PS I`m developer and have headache during working day, don`t want to have it more at home too.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!