my Nas with ASRock J4205-ITX

• Hi folks,

I bought my first nas 9 years ago, a QNAP TS-219PII. Meanwhile I had some other QNAPs in use. Currently a TS-653 Pro and a TS-269L (backup). For a while I was an active member/supporter of the german qnapclub community. But I lost more and more confidence in QNAP. That the firmware is getting more unstable is only one reason. I flirted with FreeNAS. But for a test system the price seemed too high. Recently I found a build for a DIY OMV Nas on technikaffe.de. By chance I was able to bid for the mainboard on ebay. And here is my setup with small changes to the original:

FW: OMV V4.1.16
    MB: ASRock J4205-ITX
    RAM: 2x 4GB Kingston DDR3L-1600 1,35V (KVR16LS11/4)
    PSU: picoPSU-120 with Salcar 72W
    SSD: Transcent 32GB SSD
    HDD: Seagate Exos X X10 10TB
    CASE: Lian Li PC-Q28

My target: Replace the QNAPs with OVM Nas. But I am not in hurry. Get to know OMV step by step.

greetings

phoneo

• Offizieller Beitrag

Nope, just wondering why an ODROID HC1 or HC2 isn't the device of choice...
    Disclaimer: I'm an energy efficiency fetishist and have a hard time understanding why people use an overkill setup to share a single disk.

I take it you weren't a fan of the TV show Home Improvement? :)

(If you're not familiar, the main character overdid everything and often used ridiculous amounts of power.. usually with hilarious results)

• Offizieller Beitrag

That's an interesting case and it appears that you have two extra sata ports on the Mobo.

With the hardware question already settled, I believe you'll come to appreciate choosing OMV for your NAS OS. The features and options are plentiful, especially with the Dockers available. There's something for everyone. As I researched the available options and add-on's, over time, my NAS has "evolved".

Depending on what you want to do and with a bit of time, you'll discover several features and add-on's that are not available for a QNAP. That's what makes OMV superior to commercial offerings, in my opinion. Commercial items tend to "limit" users where OMV opens up a smorgasbord of options.

Don't forget about backup.

• Nope, just wondering why an ODROID HC1 or HC2 isn't the device of choice...

Ah, ok. Energy efficience is an importent criterium for me too.Otherwise I use encryption, Kodi and Docker on my main NAS. Maybe Odroid is a good choise for a backup NAS.

Depending on what you want to do and with a bit of time, you'll discover several features and add-on's that are not available for a QNAP.

I´m not sure. With Docker and the QNAP Club Store (own app repo) is the range of features also great. Easy to install as well. But I am not here to advertise it.

Don't forget about backup.

My motto is: No backup? - No pity! :thumbup:

By the way: Your New User Guide will be my advisor for the next time. Thanks.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!