Searching the right Hardware for a small datagrave NAS with added functionality (Bitwarden, Pi-Hole, Plex)

• I am thinking about replacing my old TS228 QNAP (working OK, but an OS running on the same drives as the stored data is not the best idea for a mostly silent data grave...) with something small, efficient and power-saving.

My main use-case would be :
    Archiving some work/personal stuff (the irreplaceable things) (probably with manual off-site backups, as I also have an intermediate nextcloud solution on a remote server)
    Storing Films, Photos etc... (which aren't too important) - both using OMV of course !
    Running my own instance of Bitwarden (using Bitwarden_rs probably)
    Running a Pi-Hole over the Network once my stupidly closed cable box can e thrown out of the window (together with my current ISP)
    Probably running Plex server, while letting my TV decode it (it handles it quite well for the moment)

From my first search efforts the Odroid HC2 seems to be a great solution, using one of the existing 8TB drives I have, which should be enough storage wise, as well as a 32 GB Micro SD which should be more than enough for the OS and 2-3 little lightweight projects. I would end up with 80€ incl. shipping of goods and could still stack on another HC2 later on to split important from not so important stuff and adding an SSD to make the small files more accessible and less failure-prone.

Are there any other / better solutions in this price-range ? Maybe something coming out with a stronger chipset somewhere soon ? The form-factor of the HC2 seems interesting...

I would like for the selling price of the TS228 to cover the cost of the new system if possible (and if all could look not too bad / geeky I would also make the girlfriend happy :saint:

Of course, once everything done, I will report back ;)

• Maybe something coming out with a stronger chipset somewhere soon ?

Not that I would know of. For a rough 'CPU horsepower' estimate you can look at the 7-zip column here: https://github.com/ThomasKaise…ch/blob/master/Results.md (multi-threaded numbers so if you have a use case that consists of single-threaded workloads situation is somewhat different. But what you're describing doesn't require CPU horsepower and you would be fine with a CPU half that 'strong' anyway).

• Not that I would know of. For a rough 'CPU horsepower' estimate you can look at the 7-zip column here: https://github.com/ThomasKaise…ch/blob/master/Results.md (multi-threaded numbers so if you have a use case that consists of single-threaded workloads situation is somewhat different. But what you're describing doesn't require CPU horsepower and you would be fine with a CPU half that 'strong' anyway).

Thanks for you answer @tkaiser !

I was a bit worried about the age of the HC2's chipset and the fact that it only handles 32bit instructions...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!