Creating shared folder with WORKING password :-) ?

• Hi
    TechnoDadLife shows us newbies excellent tutorial on youtube how to create simple share folder which always works, Thank You.

Can someone point me to the right place in this forum where I can follow instruction how to create share folder with password, please ?
    I am try........ing and still unsuccessful, changing permissions as logic suggests, but clearly my logic is far from logical :) [windows user,still]
    At the moment I have build this server just to play and learn, so when I get familiar with most basic operations I can implement this super server in to my home network for good.

Regards to All

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure if it helps, as I did not really understood what your issue is, but have a look here:

Samba Share Types in OMV
    OMV Setup Videos Video: full install

and the guide which is linked in my signature

Wild guess: create a user in OMV that is different from your windows user

• I can create shared folder with permission for all to access, but when I try to create folder secured with password , all i get is windows popup saying i don't have permission contact admin. I don.t even get password request from windows and if i get password request on occasions it always says invalid. I have been going thru most of the youtubes from TechnoDadLive (the one which explains problems with passwords) but still no results. I can reinstall the system from scratch if needs be but I still don't understand (i am trying) where to look for solutions and what the problem is :(

• Hi,
    go to shared folders and under ACL you can get different users different permissions.
    First you must create also different users.

i hope this is what you search for.

• but when I try to create folder secured with password

Not sure what exactly you are trying to do this but let's assume you

• set up OMV at local network at ip 192.168.1.12
    • added shared folder "AppData", and set it visible under Services - SMB - Shares (as in TechnoDadLife's guide) with permissions Everyone: read/write

• typed \\192.168.1.12\AppData in Windows 10 explorer and got access to AppData without prompting a password
    • added a Shared folder "Movies" and set following (default) permissions: Administrator: read/write, Users: read/write, Others: read-only and also added a user "Remi" with password "qwerty1234"
    • typed \\192.168.1.12\Movies in Windows 10 explorer, then Windows asks you for login&password and despite you type Remi:qwerty1234 access is denied \ long load \ etc.

So what I tell next is just the result of my research and maybe it doesn't work this way but it works for me. Also my Windows locale is not English so names of menus can be a bit different:

When you connect to \\192.168.1.12\AppData for the first time Windows believes that you (your Windows login) have access to 192.168.1.12 (and all folders on this ip) without login&password and it records this fact.
    When you try to connect to \\192.168.1.12\Movies then Windows asks for login&pass but then it says "hey, this guy doesn't need a login&pass for this ip!". Even if you marked "Login with other credentials" and typed Remi:qwerty1234. Windows is able to keep one login:password for ip 192.168.1.12 and unfortunately your first connect to 192.168.1.12 was without login:password.

What you can do is Start -> Run -> control userpasswords2 -> second tab "Extra" -> Password Management and look if there are any records for ip 192.168.1.12 here. If there is smth about 192.168.1.12 then delete it, maybe reboot, and then connect to \\192.168.1.12\Movies with Remi:qwerty1234. So now your Windows knows your login:password for ip 192.168.1.12 and hopefully you will get access to Movies. Wow that's a lot of text.

Primary: Odroid HC2 + Seagate 6TB HDD - OMV4

Backup: Odroid HC2 + Seagate 4TB HDD - OMV6. Backup to remote location with Syncthing via Tailscale.

• What you can do is Start -> Run -> control userpasswords2 -> second tab "Extra" -> Password Management and look if there are any records for ip 192.168.1.12 here. If there is smth about 192.168.1.12 then delete it, maybe reboot, and then connect to \\192.168.1.12\Movies with Remi:qwerty1234. So now your Windows knows your login:password for ip 192.168.1.12 and hopefully you will get access to Movies. Wow that's a lot of text.

It helped, thank you. Not exactly 100% solution as computers in my network (win10) do not recognize my network resources except for one workstation ?( , but i can access folders from OMV by inputting address in the address box manually and I can then map the drive for automatic login.
    --------------------------------------later in the day :) ---------------------
    Replaced stock firmware of my Asus RT-AC88U for Merlin firmware and all is perfect now. Looks like problem was with in the router.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!